Feeling really discouraged :(

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.

Feeling really discouraged :(

Postby ellemoon » Tue May 21, 2013 10:13 am

I had posted about a month ago that the MFM noticed that my placenta is right over my classical c-section scar. I go back June 12th for another ultraound to check this. If it attaches to the scar, it is something called Placenta Accreta. This makes removing the placenta at birth almost impossible. It can mean lots of blood loss and even a hysterectomy. :( It also usually means preterm birth. My doctor hasn't really told me much...I just found all of this information on the ACOG website.

I'm just feeling really discouraged. My blood pressures have been great so far, 24 hour urine last week was 138 (baseline 130) and I don't have any swelling yet. (according to my blog, I had horrible swelling in my feet at 25 weeks with DD1). So, I'm feeling optimistic that I may get farther than I did with DD at least. BUT it makes me really sad that I may make it pre-e free (HUGE accomplishment!) but then may still have to deliver early and then have to have a hysterectomy! I imagine that recovery from that plus a blood transfusion would make me feel HORRIBLE and I want nothing more than to have my baby in the room with me and be able to nurse right after my c-section and just have as normal of a birth experience as possible.

It just feels like everything is always stacked against me. :( I'm sure hormones aren't helping anything at all either.
It's not even the thought of the hysterectomy that bothers me, it's the recovery and not being able to see my baby right after. What if something goes terribly wrong and I bleed out? I can't leave my DH with two young daughters! :cry: This is just all too much to deal with.

It's also frustrating that the MFM doesn't seem to be taking it seriously enough. When I saw him a couple weeks ago, he kept forgetting that my scar is vertical. He said "your placenta isn't near your cervix or your scar" and I had to remind him my scar is in the middle. He then said "Oh, well, it looks ok right now...we'll keep an eye on it". He said this without taking a second look. When I go for my next scan on the 12th, I'm going to make him SHOW Me on the screen the seperation (or lack thereof) between my placenta and the scar. I want to know his game plan as well. It really stinks that we have to be our own advocate sometimes. I feel like I have to be on top of everything or else it will get missed! ugh.

Thanks for letting me vent. If anyone has any insight on the Placenta Accreta situation, I would greatly appreciate it. It's so hard to find support because not many people have had or even heard of classical c-sections.
Leslie (26) DH (28)
Chronic hypertensive since age 17
DD- born April 24, 2011 due to severe pre-e at 29w1d weighing 2lbs, 11oz
Diagnosed with homozygous MTHFR C677T
Pregnant with #2! Due 9/2/13 but will deliver at 36-37 weeks due to classical csection.
(Labetolol, HCTZ, Aspirin 81mg, Calcium, Mag, Zinc, D, Fish Oil, Fiber gummies, Folic Acid)
ellemoon

Re: Feeling really discouraged :(

Postby sam10 » Tue May 21, 2013 08:54 pm

Ugh, I understand your frustration. And it does not help matters that your doc seems so nonchalant. But I am glad that you will make him work and asking him about his gameplan should get him on his toes.

I don't have much info on placenta accreta, but it has come up before in this forum. Here is one discussion around this topic from a few years back:
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=16122&p=256257&hilit=placenta+accreta#p256257

If you use the search function you might find a few more.

Let us know how it goes. Will be thinking of you.
~Julija (40)
MC 3/2009 and 3/2011
Henry (1/1/2010-1/7/2010) - forever loved and missed; severe PE with Hellp; partial placental abruption, classical c-section at 25.6 weeks
Matilda (Nov. 2012, born at 35.4 weeks) - severe PE

Our pain has been put into words, placed into empty cradles, to remember that all our babies lived, that they mattered and always will. - Field of Cradles http://www.fieldofcradles.org/
sam10
Forum Moderator

Return to Pregnant Again?