Anxiety anyone?

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.

Anxiety anyone?

Postby hlf83 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 03:00 pm

I am wondering if any other women who are pregnant again have trouble dealing with anxiety? I had Preeclampsia HELLP Syndrome when I delivered my (luckily) healthy son 5 years ago. I am currently 15 weeks with 2nd baby. I seem to be having a lot more anxiety this time around and I know it's because I'm nervous about the time that I will deliver, which isn't until January, unless something happens before that time. Any advice on how to just focus on enjoying this pregnancy now and not worrying so much about what is to come?
hlf83

Re: Anxiety anyone?

Postby whereowhere » Wed Aug 07, 2013 04:39 pm

You know, I got the best advice from another woman on here who said it's cliché, but it's true. I took her advice, I tried, I practiced it and it really did help. She advised that saying "take it a day at a time". I started to try to enjoy the moments more, the moments that I still had where it was just me and my husband without a baby, the time I had to be close to him, to be able to go to a movie with him. I tried to really feel blessed to be even able to BE pregnant which some women never know that experience. I tried to feel and enjoy each moment that I had with my baby, knowing I only had TODAY. While I had today, I was going to enjoy it. Another thing that helped a lot I know was seeing my therapist weekly who I began seeing when I lost my twins in April 2012. Being able to talk out my anxieties helped me very much. It also let me see how I was making it each week, one week at a time too. Now I am out of the danger zone for losing a baby from preeclampsia as I am 33 weeks tomorrow and delivering in 4 weeks. Baby is growing great, so I don't have to try as hard.
But for you, my advice is the same cliché, TRY hard to take it "a day/moment at a time". Also, be aware that with monitoring the risk to your life is low, so do your part, be educated about all the symptoms to watch for and take your blood pressure at least once a day. Then leave the rest and entrust to your doctors who I imagine are monitoring you closely. I had to make myself aware of that so I wouldn't get so afraid of death. I hope this helps in some way.
Ectopic Pregnancy-2010

Miscarriage-2011

Lost my beautiful boy & girl twins at 21 weeks to severe preeclampsia-2012
Mommy & Daddy will love you forever my sweet babies!

Pregnant again, due September 26, 2013. Praying for a pre-e free pregnancy.

Delivered a healthy baby girl at exactly 37 weeks, pre-e free! Had some hypertension post-partum but resolved with BP meds.

C-section planned for September 5, 2013 at exactly 37 weeks.
whereowhere

Postby lzabroski » Tue Aug 27, 2013 02:54 pm

I am right there with you! 8 Months ago I lost my son at 24 weeks because of Severe Preeclampsia. On top of being grieving mother, I am trying so hard to stay strong for this baby. I am about 13 weeks along and I am terrified that the same thing will happen to this little baby. I can't help but to carry a heavy heart. 3 months ago I was ok and thought I was ready to get pregnant again when my doctor gave us the green light. I realize now that maybe it was too early but I love this new baby so much. I am trying to eat better and get some more exercise without over exerting myself. I feel so sad all the time about my son that passed away and I can't imagine if that happened again. I received his medical records in the mail this weekend and I really didn't know how sick he was. After he was born he was transported to another hospital and I never met him those 36 hours he was alive. The nurses kept me informed as much as possible but they left out certain details I think to protect me from anymore despair or maybe I just don't remember those details because I was so sick. I wasn't stable enough to be transported to the other hospital. It rips my heart out to know just how sick he was and there was abosultely nothing I could do to save him. He was my first child. Now I feel like I have been robbed of the happiness with this child because I am scared to shop for the baby or make any plans because I just can't bare another loss. Is anyone else having these feelings?
Delivered Bohden 12/29/12 at 24 weeks with Severe preeclampsia/HELLP. He passed away 12/30/12
Pregnant with subsequent child, due March 2014
(Baby aspirin, lebatolol, prenatal)
www.BohdensHands.org
lzabroski

Postby elg » Tue Aug 27, 2013 07:52 pm

I too feel so much anxiety. I delivered my son last year at 25 weeks and he passed away 7 days later. I am now 21 weeks. I try so hard to enjoy every day that I have with this baby, but some days I am so scared. No matter what happens, this is our last baby because I can't have anymore. I really like the advice from whereowhere to take it day/moment at a time. Today, I am pregnant and today my baby is healthy. For that I am thankful.
elg

Return to Pregnant Again?