Post Reply FAQ Members Login

CoQ10

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.

CoQ10

Postby IBackBevo » Sun Sep 22, 2013 02:34 pm

by IBackBevo (15 Posts), Sun Sep 22, 2013 02:34 pm

I was originally taking 300 mg a day of the Ubiquinol form of CoQ10 while I was trying to get pregnant. It was prescribed by my Reproductive Endocrinologist (an OB with additional training in fertility) while I was trying to get pregnant. After I got pregnant, the nurse (when I called to check on BA and the other supplements I was on) said I could go off of it because it is just needed to help with egg quality. Since I no longer needed to improve "egg quality" because I was pregnant, she told me I could go off of it. (Plus, the form I was taking was about 50 cents a pill...and I was taking 3 a day!) However, I did not think to ask her about taking it for pre-e. I don't go to see anyone for a couple of weeks, so I wanted to know what others had found about CoQ10. There only seems to be a couple of studies out on it. I searched the board and all of the old posts seemed to put this in the "doesn't harm/unsure if helps" category, but given the research on Vitamin C and Fish Oil, etc. used to be the same, I am left unsure. Anyone know anything else? Anyone take it?
IBackBevo

Re: CoQ10

Postby sam10 » Sun Sep 22, 2013 07:41 pm

by sam10 (1437 Posts), Sun Sep 22, 2013 07:41 pm

I asked my doctor about it and the response was that it wouldn't harm, but there is no evidence that it will help. I ended up not taking it, since I was already taking all these pills/supplements. One less to worry about.
~Julija (40)
MC 3/2009 and 3/2011
Henry (1/1/2010-1/7/2010) - forever loved and missed; severe PE with Hellp; partial placental abruption, classical c-section at 25.6 weeks
Matilda (Nov. 2012, born at 35.4 weeks) - severe PE

Our pain has been put into words, placed into empty cradles, to remember that all our babies lived, that they mattered and always will. - Field of Cradles http://www.fieldofcradles.org/
sam10
Forum Moderator

Return to Pregnant Again?