early blood pressure problems but no second diagnosis yet

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.

early blood pressure problems but no second diagnosis yet

Postby dosorrow » Wed Feb 05, 2014 02:29 pm

My son was born about 5 years ago during a stressful and hectic time in my life and I fully admit I probably didn't take care of myself as I should. I was diagnosed with preeclampsia at 30 weeks and my son was born 4 weeks early at 4lbs. Ironically his lungs and heart were very well developed because of all the strain he was under those last weeks. For me I kept thinking it wasn't all that bad and I could act like a regular pregnancy up until we were at the hospital with ridiculously high blood pressure and I saw the flat out concern and worry on the faces of all the medical staff. My doctor strongly encouraged that I take a big break from having kids and to not go past 30. After the big scare from the first one and learning later all the things that could have gone wrong I was on the fence for a long time and once I turned 30 we made the big decision to try one more time. This same year I discovered my hormone levels were jumping around a bit and causing a little bit of blood pressure problems, migraines, and weight gain. My doctor started getting consistent good readings and I stopped getting the migraines so she gave me the go ahead with getting pregnant. I was doing well up until last week on my 12 week check up where my blood pressure was 140/90. I had no other signs even close to preeclampsia and since I had stopped exercising due to a few spotting scares she suggested I start more physical exercise now that the spotting stopped. (and since i kept cheating with fatty foods sometimes I decided to take a healthy diet more seriously). This truly scared me to new levels of being healthy. Although the blood pressure dropped to 124/84 by the next day and has kept steady, I feel it could always be a lot better if this all just connected to diet and exercise. I've always been a little over weight but never obese so its really frustrating to face these problems when you see other women with my same weight eat what they want. I have to admit my ultra heart healthy diet is really making me feel a lot better physically after only a week and I seem to be losing a little weight while still eating well. Of course, I know nothing can prevent preeclampsia when its here, but I'm extremely worried about having it again, especially getting it early since that seems to make everything worse. Has anyone had different severity to their preeclampsia on their first vs. second pregnancy? or seen spikes in blood pressure in early pregnancy?
2008- Hypertension at 32 weeks, preeclampsia at 35 weeks, Induced at 36w3d after water broke. Zander 4 lbs9oz took home right away no need for NICU
2014- Hypertension at 24 weeks, in progress...
dosorrow

Return to Pregnant Again?