Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Questions to ask Dr at each visit

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.

Questions to ask Dr at each visit

Postby kndain » Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:32 am

by kndain (2 Posts), Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:32 am

It took me a little over four years to decided to try again after a terrifying delivery which included HELLP syndrome and Preeclampsia. My son is healthy and just turned five but we felt like we wanted to try for one more. I always thought we would try for a while and nothing would happen and then we could honestly say it wasn't meant to be. We'll needless to say we got pregnant the first month of trying. I guess life had different plans. While we are so excited, I'm so scared. In preparation for my first ob visit I tried to find a list if questions I should ask my ob knowing what I know now about preeclampsia and HELLP SYNDROME. I never found one but wonder each time I go what should I be asking and making sure the doctor is checking. So my question is what questions do you ask each time you go for your visit?
kndain

Re: Questions to ask Dr at each visit

Postby caryn » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:16 pm

by caryn (10131 Posts), Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:16 pm

I would ask questions about the management plan - because this will give you a sense of how monitoring will proceed, how things will be managed if they remain normal, and what your providers plan to do if things start to go haywire. Will they run extra screening tests and ultrasounds? Will you be seen more frequently? Is there anything they'd like you to do, like monitoring your bp at home and emailing numbers to the office?
Science! The articles you don't want to miss:
The Preeclampsia Puzzle (New Yorker) and Silent Struggle: A New Theory of Pregnancy (New York Times)
Looking for recent articles and studies? Lectures from researchers?
A chance to participate in research? For us on Facebook or Twitter?

Caryn, @carynjrogers, who is not a doctor and who talks about science stuff *way* too much
DS Oscar born by emergent C-section at 34 weeks for fetal indicators, due to severe PE
DD Bridget born by C-section after water broke at 39 weeks after a healthy pregnancy
caryn
Forum Moderator

Re: Questions to ask Dr at each visit

Postby mnickerson » Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:49 pm

by mnickerson (15 Posts), Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:49 pm

I had HELLP at 37 weeks with my last pregnancy. My daughter just turned two and I am currently 34 weeks with a boy. Believe me, I have been pretty paranoid this whole time! However, I'm feeling very relieved to have hit the 34 week mark.

When I got pregnant this time, my doctor had a plan in place for me already. The first two trimesters were pretty much the same as regular pregnancies, but starting at week 28 I've been doing regular labs to check for kidney and liver function, platelets and protein. I'm now going in twice a week for non-stress tests and I take my BP at home regularly. Unfortunately, these things can present so suddenly that this may all be pointless in giving us any warning, but it's better than nothing.

I'm sure you already know this, but HELLP (and I think PE, too - I didn't have PE) are more common in first pregnancies, especially if the dad is the same. So you've got that on your side! What week did you develop HELLP and PE? If recurrence does happen, it's typically around the same time as the first.

Best of luck to you!
mnickerson

Return to Pregnant Again?