Put on bloodpressure meds at 24 weeks

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.

Put on bloodpressure meds at 24 weeks

Postby dosorrow » Fri May 02, 2014 00:38 am

So as I posted in a previous post there were a few blood pressure spikes early in my pregancy but with diet and exercise I was able to keep it down well. However at 23 weeks I went through a more than anticipated physically stressful weekend. At my 24 week appointment my pressure was high again :( They asked me to run labs and come back on Monday. Even in a relaxed state it was still at 140/90. I have the same doctor I had for my first which resulted in Pree so I'm grateful she's keeping a close eye on me. She put me on labetalol and weekly check ups. Also my work is allowing me to telecommute. No traces of protien or anything else on my labs. Even though I have an attentive doctor I'm pretty depressed I'm here again. Especially not that you know the worse that can happen. With my son it didn't start until 32 weeks and he was born at 36 weeks. Praying that she can last thru to the same so far she's a good size and she's pretty active.
2008- Hypertension at 32 weeks, preeclampsia at 35 weeks, Induced at 36w3d after water broke. Zander 4 lbs9oz took home right away no need for NICU
2014- Hypertension at 24 weeks, preeclampsia 34 weeks, in progress...
dosorrow

Re: Put on bloodpressure meds at 24 weeks

Postby MomTimesThree » Sat May 03, 2014 06:55 pm

I was put on meds at 25 weeks during my pregnancy after our first pre-e pregnancy. There was some discussion about had my first pregnancy kinda unmasked me as hypertensive which is why we saw the labile pressures and then sustained higher pressures as I moved along.

I'm thankful you've got a doctor that is being extra cautious and is well aware of your history. It sounds like you'll be monitored well and I'll keep all crossables crossed you make it to 37 weeks! :)

Lauren
2008-Our Baby Girl, PTL born too early at 30w6d, Fought so hard... Forever Loved & Missed
2010- Lil' Bro, Pre-E at 29 weeks... Induced at 36w6d, Born 37w
2012- Lil' Sis, Super-imposed pre-e at 25 weeks, PTL & GD at 35 weeks, Evicted 36w
MomTimesThree
Forum Moderator

Postby dosorrow » Tue May 06, 2014 05:16 pm

Thank you Lauren. Sometimes a sympathetic ear who's gone through the same thing is good to have. Especially when half the people around you have no clue what preeclampsia is and you don't always feel up to explaining all the bad things that can happen. A well meaning coworker actually said to me "isn't high blood pressure pretty normal for most pregnant women?" Since he just had no clue about anything to do with pregnancy and he wasn't trying to be mean about it I tried to gently explain why its not "normal".

My meds were slightly increased again since my pressure wasn't going down all the time but no protien or organ damage in my labs so it looks like I'm just hypertensive. My doctor is also having me come in weekly or biweekly depending on how my pressure is looking. I'm relieved she's already fast tracking my routine check ups in preparation for an early baby. Feel a lot better knowing she knows how to handle these cases. Especially, after learning from other people on this forum that not all doctors are familiar with how cautious to be around preeclampsia.
2008- Hypertension at 32 weeks, preeclampsia at 35 weeks, Induced at 36w3d after water broke. Zander 4 lbs9oz took home right away no need for NICU
dosorrow

Postby MomTimesThree » Wed May 07, 2014 02:42 am

Oy- it's quite scary how little the general public knows about Pre-Eclampsia- thank goodness folks at the foundation, and us with our stories are helping to change that! Kind of you to gently explain instead of boppin' him on the noggin. :)

It's quite common to adjust meds to find the right mix to keep things where they want them- and to sometimes adjust as you get farther along. Super great that all your labs are remaining stable and that you'll be closely watched so should anything start to change you'll be on it.

Keep posted as you're able! :)
Lauren
2008-Our Baby Girl, PTL born too early at 30w6d, Fought so hard... Forever Loved & Missed
2012- Lil' Sis, Super-imposed pre-e at 25 weeks, PTL & GD at 35 weeks, Evicted 36w
MomTimesThree
Forum Moderator

Postby dosorrow » Mon Jun 02, 2014 05:51 pm

Feeling hopeful and a little relieved after my last doc appointment. No other Preeclampsia symptoms have shown up. Medication is keeping my blood pressure at a good level now and the baby is growing right on schedule. The doc is optimistic I can get to a safe birth weight if everything stays steady. :D
dosorrow

Postby MomTimesThree » Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:18 pm

Woo hoo! So thankful you are holding steady! Thanks for the update! :)
MomTimesThree
Forum Moderator

Postby dosorrow » Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:20 pm

Well like clockwork the ultrasound at 33 weeks has the beginnings of low fluid and creeping up is swelling and blood pressure. Not enough to panic but enough to know where this is going. I swear I remember my last pregnancy the exact same thing happened. Her weight is still within the average but her weight gain is slowing down a bit too. Don't know if there is any signs of protein yet we'll see Monday. Oh well...at least the medicine bought me almost 10 weeks. :(
dosorrow

Postby caryn » Thu Jun 26, 2014 03:00 am

34 weeks is golden really, even if it's no fun, with odds like "99% survival with no morbidity". 10 weeks of time at least - wow. Hopefully things just tick along for three more weeks.
Science! The articles you don't want to miss:
The Preeclampsia Puzzle (New Yorker) and Silent Struggle: A New Theory of Pregnancy (New York Times)
Looking for recent articles and studies? Lectures from researchers?
A chance to participate in research? For us on Facebook or Twitter?

Caryn, @carynjrogers, who is not a doctor and who talks about science stuff *way* too much
DS Oscar born by emergent C-section at 34 weeks for fetal indicators, due to severe PE
DD Bridget born by C-section after water broke at 39 weeks after a healthy pregnancy
caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby dosorrow » Sat Jul 26, 2014 09:46 pm

Thanks for the positive responses caryn and momtimesthree. As an update my blood pressure didn't go over the 140ish zone so we increased the medication and that along with bedrest seemed to keep me stable enough to buy a few more weeks. I made it to 37 weeks yesterday! Something I never did with my first but the bp was starting to fight the meds again and the babys weight officially slowed down enough that staying pregnant wont help her. So my doc is finally scheduling a induction this Wednesday. Even though her weight should possibly be 6lbs I'm very nervous about complications. Hoping I can make it through the weekend without another rise in bp or my water breaking (relatives that usually can watch my son are out of town for the weekend). As a side comment does anyone else find it a mouthful when you get asked "when's your due date?" With an induction date I could finally give a better answer but before it was an awkward "in a few weeks" if I didn't want to give them my life story:p
dosorrow

Postby MomTimesThree » Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:28 pm

Yeah for 37 weeks!! Congrats mama!!! I'll be thinking peaceful wishes for you as you approach the induction and no labor vibes this weekend!!

I always fudged the answer by saying the general season, and then as we got closer the general month. There was always a bump in each of our pregnancies so I had lots of practice at being vague. :)

Keep posted as you're able,
Lauren
MomTimesThree
Forum Moderator

Return to Pregnant Again?