didnt want to get pregnant. now what.

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.
alviarin
Forum Moderator

Re: didnt want to get pregnant. now what.

Postby alviarin » Tue Sep 30, 2014 04:09 pm

Welcome to the forums.

I'm so sorry you are dealing with all of this. I second the recommendation of seeing a MFM with your history. When my OB was kind of blowing me off during my second pregnancy, I asked for a referral to a MFM. The MFM was so reassuring, and she laid out a more frequent testing and monitoring schedule than what my OB had initially recommended. You could also talk to your doctor(s) about the possibility of taking low dose aspirin: http://www.uspreventiveservicestaskforc ... inalrs.htm

I know some of our posters have found counseling helpful dealing with PTSD and subsequent pregnancies, maybe that is something you might want to look into…?

You also mentioned possible pituitary issues. You said you were still having some weird symptoms? We have had one or two posters over the years with pituitary problems; you can do a search on "Sheehan's" (search box in upper right hand of your screen) to look at old posts if you like.

I don’t know if this helps any, but I found out I was severely vitamin D deficient after my second pregnancy. It turned out all the women in my family are vitamin D deficient, though I’m the only one to get preeclampsia. I have to think that the low vitamin D/pre-eclampsia link is co-incidental, not causal. How much vitamin D is your doctor recommending since you have a deficiency? I know I feel so much better when my vitamin D levels are in range.

Just FYI, migraineurs have a higher risk of celiac disease/gluten sensitivity than the general population. I was able to get the frequency & severity of my migraines down with a gluten free diet. Just wanted to mention in case this information might be helpful to you at some point.

I hope this helps a little, even if it’s just to know that you are not alone. Please let us know how you get on.
Hypothyroid mom to
Connor (severe pre-e at 38 weeks)
Claire (dx'd with pre-e and induction at 37 weeks)
Annabelle (chronic HTN & GD, superimposed pre-e @34 weeks, induction @37 weeks)

MomTimesThree
Forum Moderator

Re: didnt want to get pregnant. now what.

Postby MomTimesThree » Sun Sep 28, 2014 06:01 am

Welcome. I am so very sorry for all the difficulties you have had during your pregnancy- what scary experiences. I can only imagine how scary facing another pregnancy must be. Only you will know what is right for you. Irregardless of what path that is, finding a care team you fully trust is key- and sometimes as I'm sure you know, you have to kiss a few frogs to get to the doctor that is the right match for you. Consulting a few MFM (high risk OBs) might help provide you guidance. You can search for MFMs in your area here: https://www.smfm.org/members/search

Keep posted as you are able,
Lauren
2008-Our Baby Girl, PTL born too early at 30w6d, Fought so hard... Forever Loved & Missed
2010- Lil' Bro, Pre-E at 29 weeks... Induced at 36w6d, Born 37w
2012- Lil' Sis, Super-imposed pre-e at 25 weeks, PTL & GD at 35 weeks, Evicted 36w

Noah510

didnt want to get pregnant. now what.

Postby Noah510 » Sat Sep 27, 2014 12:53 am

I have a history of severe preeclampsia, including: chronic hypertension, cholestasis, hellp, and placental abruption in 2 pregnancies. The last of which resulted in almost losing my life and losing my son at 38 weeks due to untreated preeclampsia. (Dont ask me how you dont treat it. I have every sign under the sun) my symptoms start early. In the second trimester around 25 weeks.
I have 3 boys. After losing our 4th little boy, and realizing for the first time how dangerous pre e is, we decided we were done.
That was 15 months ago. My body is still borderline hypertensive (138/over high 80s.) I still have weird symptoms. Some of which they contribute to the mass blood loss i suffered due to the abruption. Including the thought that my pituitary gland could be damaged. Theyve ruled that out now.
At the time of my crash c section i had a 500 cc blood clot in my abdomen. I recieved 8? Units of blood.
Clearly, pregnancy is not something my body can handle.
They said i prob couldnt get pregnant again and took me off bc because of my blood pressure. That was 8 months ago.
They were wrong.

I believe im probably less than 8 weeks along.
Im absolutely petrified.
im already starting this pregnancy in a bad place health wise because of my blood pressure and migraines and severe vit D deficiency and the medications i was taking to cope with my ptsd and loss of my son. Which i have since stopped taking of course.
its safe to say my experience has left me less than trusting when it comes to my doctors. And even if the new one does take care of me, one or both of us can still die
i dont want to die.
Advice please. I dont know what to do.

Return to “Pregnant Again?”