I am pregnant and at risk for preeclampsia

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.
laney_p
Forum Moderator

Re: I am pregnant and at risk for preeclampsia

Postby laney_p » Thu Apr 02, 2015 07:10 pm

Hey AveMaria02, like with most things, all things in moderation is the general advice. For all pregnancies, doctors don't recommend more than 1 cup of coffee a day (or the equivalent caffeine consumption).

That being said, on to your original comment, the main thing to remember is that it is a risk, not a guarantee. You will want to watch for changes in symptoms such as headache, swelling of the hands and face, vision changes and nausea/vomiting, and make sure that they do a blood pressure and urine dipstick test at every prenatal appointment. With careful management, even women who do develop preeclampsia again can be managed carefully for a healthy outcome for mom and baby.

Let us know how you are doing!
Laney
Director of Community Relations for the Preeclampsia Foundation
*does not provide any medical advice*
for more information, please visit www.preeclampsia.org

La Directora de las Relaciones con la Comunidad
*no ofrece consejo médico*
Se habla español
Para mas información, por favor visite: www.preeclampsia.org/es

AveMaria02

Postby AveMaria02 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 08:10 pm

Thank you for your reply Elizabeth. Unfortunately I am quite addicted to caffeine. Is caffeine consumption really all that harmful with preeclampsia?

Elizabethx3

Postby Elizabethx3 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 06:00 pm

I'd recommend drinking more water as it helps remove any swelling that may be starting. Ask your doctor about how swelling can be flushed out of the body and avoid too much caffeine. Try adding some fruit juice or an herbal tea if water alone is too bland. My third preeclampic pregnancy was a full-term girl weighing 7 pounds 8 1/2 oz. I can't know if that's what helped but I'm sure it didn't hurt. Her older brother was born when I was 6 months pregnant and he weighed 1 1/2 pounds. He's ok and 25 now but 8 surgeries and having to be treated for Hep-C (blood transfusion in 1990) has been hard on him. :)

AveMaria02

I am pregnant and at risk for preeclampsia

Postby AveMaria02 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 03:52 am

Hey everyone. I am 20 weeks pregnant and have been told by my OB that I am at risk for preeclampsia. I am having a baby boy whose name is Colton Benjamin Michael Siddons.

Return to “Pregnant Again?”