Any tips for preventing postpartum preeclampsia?

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.
alviarin
Forum Moderator

Re: Any tips for preventing postpartum preeclampsia?

Postby alviarin » Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:05 pm

I'm sorry, subsequent pregnancies after preeclampsia can definitely be nerve-wracking!

Odds are if you do get pre-e again it will be milder. However, there are meds that can help with symptoms as needed. Even if it is a diuretic for severe swelling, or BP meds to help pressures stay under control (or even a course of magnesium postpartum).

Something that helped me in my second pregnancy was buying a home BP monitor to monitor my pressures at home. That way instead of just sitting around worrying, I could measure my BP twice a day and look for trends.

Good luck, please keep us posted on how you get on!
Hypothyroid mom to
Connor (severe pre-e at 38 weeks)
Claire (dx'd with pre-e and induction at 37 weeks)
Annabelle (chronic HTN & GD, superimposed pre-e @34 weeks, induction @37 weeks)

egracep2

Any tips for preventing postpartum preeclampsia?

Postby egracep2 » Mon Aug 31, 2015 01:58 pm

Hi all,

I am currently 23 weeks pregnant with my second daughter. I had preeclampsia with my first, but luckily it didn't set it until about 39 weeks, when I was quickly induced and gave birth to a beautiful healthy baby. I went home from the hospital on a low dose of blood pressure medication, but 5 days after delivery had a severe and very scary blood pressure spike that sent me to the ER. I have so far been healthy with my second, but I'm terrified about what might happen after the delivery. It seems like the postpartum preeclampsia (particularly the spikes) can just come out of nowhere, and the fear of having an episode and not making it to an ER in time has me pretty freaked out. I'm so scared of everything looking fine, being sent home after 2 days, and then having another incident that could be even more serious. My question is this - for those of you who experienced postpartum preeclampsia and went on to have a second, what did your doctor have you do after the second delivery to prevent or be ready to treat a sudden onset of preeclampsia? Did they keep you longer in the hospital as a precaution? Send you home with any particular medication? Postpartum bedrest? I keep wishing there was a magic pill you could have ready to pop if you have a severe episode, like how my father-in-law carries nitroglycerin in case of a heart attack! But I guess that's wishful thinking. Just looking to gather as much advice and wisdom as possible to help be prepared and lessen my anxiety.

Thanks!

Return to “Pregnant Again?”