high blood pressure at 27 + 4. Possible pre eclampsia again?

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.
alviarin
Forum Moderator

Re: high blood pressure at 27 + 4. Possible pre eclampsia again?

Postby alviarin » Thu Jul 21, 2016 04:32 am

Glad to hear you are still hanging in there, and yay for 36 weeks! Thanks for the update.
Hypothyroid mom to
Connor (severe pre-e at 38 weeks)
Claire (dx'd with pre-e and induction at 37 weeks)
Annabelle (chronic HTN & GD, superimposed pre-e @34 weeks, induction @37 weeks)

katy-anne

Postby katy-anne » Tue Jul 19, 2016 05:11 pm

blood pressure is still borderline. top number is fluctuating still between 126 and 143. Bottom number between 85 and 93. No other worsening symptoms. I'm exhausted most of the time but this may just be third trimester tiredness. I am now on weekly appointments. goal is still repeat c section at 39 weeks but we will see how the next few weeks go. I am 36+1 today which is further than I have ever been pregnant. My first child was born at 36+0.
Grayson William born 3/10/2010 at 36+0 due to severe preeclampsia
Elizabeth Grace due 8/15/16. Diagnosed Gestational Hypertension at 27+4 5/20/16.

alviarin
Forum Moderator

Postby alviarin » Fri Jul 15, 2016 09:55 pm

Hi Katy-Anne,

Just wondering how you were doing this week? Any updates?
Hypothyroid mom to

MomTimesThree
Forum Moderator

Postby MomTimesThree » Fri Jul 08, 2016 06:51 am

Wondering how you are doing. I hope things have remained stable for you.

Best,
Lauren
2008-Our Baby Girl, PTL born too early at 30w6d, Fought so hard... Forever Loved & Missed
2010- Lil' Bro, Pre-E at 29 weeks... Induced at 36w6d, Born 37w
2012- Lil' Sis, Super-imposed pre-e at 25 weeks, PTL & GD at 35 weeks, Evicted 36w

katy-anne

Postby katy-anne » Sat Jul 02, 2016 06:47 pm

I am alright. I went back into my regular doctor's office to the same day clinic with a head ache that wouldn't go away since Friday. Blood pressure was 133/80 so they didn't think it was blood pressure related. I'm getting better at monitoring it at home and it hasn't gone over the 140/90 range yet. They gave my tylenol 3 which after two doses on Tuesday Night and Wednesday morning did get rid of the headache. I had a headache Thursday but it responded to normal tylenol. I had an ultrasound yesterday to check growth and baby's doing fine. They are estimating that she weighs about 5 lbs 5 oz which is more than her big brother weighed at 36 weeks.

My ankles and feet are swollen but with blood pressure staying between 130/80 to 140/90 it may be more regular pregnancy swelling then blood pressure related. I keep being told that my blood pressure is borderline so needs to be watched but unless it starts getting higher the goal is to keep the baby in as long as she's doing well and things remain steady. My blood pressure has been fairly steady without spiking up super high for several weeks and the baby is doing well so I am just hanging in there.
Elizabeth Grace due 8/15/16. Diagnosed Gestational Hypertension at 27+4 5/20/16.

alviarin
Forum Moderator

Postby alviarin » Wed Jun 29, 2016 04:35 pm

Just wondering if you had any updates yet? How are you feeling this week?

Something I wanted to mention, just in case you aren't comfortable with your current level of care, is that you can always ask for a referral to a MFM specializing in high risk pregnancies (based on your history of preeclampsia and your pressures). During my second pregnancy, once my pressures were jumping around, I didn't feel like my (then) OB was very understanding of my concerns. I asked for a referral to a MFM and the MFM laid out a more frequent monitoring schedule that my OB was then obliged to follow. And the MFM recommended delivering sooner, at 37-38 weeks, assuming no changes in my condition.
Hypothyroid mom to

alviarin
Forum Moderator

Postby alviarin » Mon Jun 27, 2016 01:10 am

I'm sorry your pressures aren't behaving but glad to hear you are still hanging in there.

Since you have been having some possible symptoms on top of having trouble monitoring your pressures at home, in your shoes I personally wouldn't feel comfortable waiting over two weeks until my next checkup.

Could you maybe talk to the nurse at your OB practice and see if you could come in sooner for at least a blood pressure check and urine dip? Since you don't necessarily have to see the doctor for that.

Even if your blood work was ok recently, not indicating severe symptoms of pre-e, things can change quickly. Something else you could ask your healthcare provider about is kick counting, if you are not doing it already.

Please keep us posted as you are able.
Hypothyroid mom to

katy-anne

Postby katy-anne » Sat Jun 25, 2016 07:03 pm

Blood pressures have up and down for the last month. I've been in labor and delivery twice now. First time my blood pressure dropped after lying down so they said I was dehydrated and put me on IV fluids and sent me home. I felt better for awhile

This past week I've started to get more frequent head aches. Blood pressure was 126/77 at my doctor on Thursday and he tentatively set my repeat CS date for 39+1. Friday the headache was back and wouldn't go away. My ankles and feet had also swelled up badly.

I ended up back in labor and delivery. Blood pressure was 142/88. They ran labs and said it's not preeclampsia yet but the hospital OB said she doubts I will make it to 39 weeks and said 36/37 weeks is more realistic.

My regular doctor is not able to get me in until 7/12 for my next follow up. They had absolutely no available appointments. I am trying to monitor my blood pressure at home but the cuff keeps popping off my arm. I just feel tired and sick. I've been told to go back to the hospital if I feel worse.

Baby had an NST at the hospital and she's fine at least.

I am 33 weeks Monday.

alviarin
Forum Moderator

Postby alviarin » Fri Jun 03, 2016 03:43 pm

So glad to hear your protein levels aren't bad, and baby will get some more time in utero. Are you monitoring your pressures at home?

I didn't have hypertension in my first pregnancy, but during my second my pressures started going up after 20 weeks gestation. My pressures would spike high sometimes but I still made it to almost term. Of course I was biting my nails the whole time.

Usually if pre-e strikes again it is later in gestation or less severe, so here's hoping you will beat or at least match the odds!
Hypothyroid mom to

katy-anne

Postby katy-anne » Tue May 24, 2016 05:00 pm

My 24 hour protein results came back at 171 mg over 24 hours so thankfully not preeclampsia yet. I am hoping it doesn't develop at all but relieved I am not looking at delivering a 28 week baby and she can keep growing

Return to “Pregnant Again?”