Rant about medical care

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.
wsara

Re: Rant about medical care

Postby wsara » Wed Aug 17, 2016 03:14 am

Best wishes!! After delivery my 2nd in late May, I completely understand the anxieties surrounding another pregnancy! Hope thing are going more smoothly now :)

dracarey

Postby dracarey » Sun Jul 17, 2016 00:21 am

Thank you for your support. It made me feel a lot better.

Things are going better now. I spoke to my OB's nurse and the hospital where my ultrasounds will be performed. They both explained that an MFM triages all of the requests for ultrasounds, and they felt I would benefit most from the 20 week ultrasound. They felt the 13 week ultrasound would not be as accurate and would need to be repeated at the 20 week mark anyway, regardless of the findings. If women are over 35 at the time of pregnancy, they do get the 13 week ultrasound, but that sounds like it is primarily early screening for things like Down syndrome.

I did have an early ultrasound to date my pregnancy at 8 weeks (at the recommendation of the MFM who does the ultrasound triaging). That was very cool. It was an internal ultrasound (not at all as unpleasant as I had imagined) and I got to see the little bean's heart beating away at 180 bpm! Everything looked good, and my dates were almost spot on. The ultrasound technician was so nice, which makes a huge difference too.

If anything starts to go south in this pregnancy, I also plan on requesting a referral to an MFM. Actually, I might raise this point at my next appointment anyway, to see if my doctor thinks a referral is a good idea anyway.

So far this has been a very different pregnancy than my last. I'm much sicker and much more exhausted and actually had to start medication for morning sickness. I'm hoping that the different start will mean a different outcome!! I'd like things to be as different as possible. I'll take misery now over misery later for sure!

laney_p
Forum Moderator

Postby laney_p » Mon Jun 27, 2016 02:00 pm

Ugh, I am so sorry to hear that you are having to experience this type of run-around! As a person going through pregnancy after preeclampsia, you look for reassurance and vigilance.

Although it's stressful, it sounds like you are being a great empowered patient to keep pushing them to follow the recommendations of the high-risk doctor to get the extra monitoring that you need. You are right in that preeclamspia isn't going to hit before 13-weeks, but it's totally reasonable to advocate to have baselines before the 20-week mark so that you can continue to compare.

So sorry that on top of the fear of preeclampsia, you have this extra stress. Hopefully you can kind a good advocate within the care practice who gets why it is that you are insisting on the utmost care.

Give us an update on how things are going!
Director of Community Relations for the Preeclampsia Foundation
*does not provide any medical advice*
for more information, please visit www.preeclampsia.org

La Directora de las Relaciones con la Comunidad
*no ofrece consejo médico*
Se habla español
Para mas información, por favor visite: www.preeclampsia.org/es

dracarey

Rant about medical care

Postby dracarey » Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:17 pm

Well, I'm pregnant again after having had severe pre-eclampsia in my first pregnancy. It struck at around 27 weeks, and I delivered my daughter at 30 weeks (she's doing fine now). This was 5 year ago. It has taken a lot of thinking and planning to get to the point of deciding to try again. I am now 6 weeks and it has been a very emotional day, and I need an outlet for it all...

When my husband and I were thinking about another pregnancy, we met with the OB from my first pregnancy. He was very reassuring about making sure we had all the information, and stressed how closely I would be monitored. He referred me to a high risk OB at the nearest specialty hospital (a 4 hour drive and in another province) for more prenatal counselling. Again, that OB talked about how closely I would be monitored, and made recommendations for things like LDA, calcium, vit. D and prenatal vitamins. He also said that I would have (would, not maybe) an ultrasound at 13 weeks and at 20 weeks at the specialty hospital to look for any indication that pre-eclampsia might strike again (not a guarantee, I know). Wonderful. We were nervous, but really felt like everyone was going to look after us.

Flash forward, and now I'm pregnant. Where I live, family doctors now follow most pregnancies until around 32 weeks, at which point you would start to see an OB. When I went to see my family doctor, he immediately made sure I was following the high risk OB's advice, and made referrals for the 13/20 week ultrasounds and a referral to an OB.

First bump - I was assigned to a completely different OB, and after requesting to have that switched I was told "he's full, not possible." Not a big deal, but I would rather see an OB who knows my history well, particularly since he took everything so seriously during my prenatal counselling.

Today, I had my first "appointment" at the OB. It was awful. They didn't know why I was booked at 6 weeks because they never see anyone earlier than 10 weeks. The nurse went off to chat with the doctor who told her to cancel my appointment and rebook it for 10 weeks. She also came back to tell me I "might not get the 13 week ultrasound." I was appalled by that, given that it was the advice of a high risk OB, and she just said "they triage them over there. There's no guarantee you'll get it, and I don't have access to the referral because your family doctor made it." I explained how stressed I am in this pregnancy and how important the monitoring is, and it was like talking to a wall. I was clearly making her uncomfortable. Apparently, I am to see a nurse again at 10 weeks for blood work, and I'm not even meeting the doctor until 13 weeks! So I will not even see a doctor until the start of my second trimester! After this upsetting news, she decided to take my blood pressure which of course is elevated at 138/60.

I called the specialty hospital to find out the status of my referral, and they have never heard of me, even though my doctor sent the referral 2 weeks ago. I had to ask him to send it again.

I feel crazy, annoying, and like a patient who is going to end up with a "note" in their chart. I also feel very alone, with nobody advocating for me.

I realize that I am following the advice of the high-risk doc and doing everything I can to stay healthy. I also realize that pre-clampsia isn't going to get me before my 13 week doctor's appointment. And maybe this doctor will turn out to be amazing and everything will be fine, and today was just an awful day. And maybe I have nothing to worry about with this ultrasound. I don't know. It's just pretty early to feel this exhausted, and to have to start fighting all this battles.

Return to “Pregnant Again?”