Worried about Preeclampsia and HELLP a second time

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.
eleni
Site Admin

Re: Worried about Preeclampsia and HELLP a second time

Postby eleni » Fri May 19, 2017 07:59 pm

We hear you, Kelsey! Any pregnancy after things don't go so well the first time can be full of anxiety. It does, however, sound like you are with a good care team that is monitoring you closely and will not take any risks. Continue to eat right, get rest and all the things that contribute to a healthy pregnancy. There are many factors that go into your risk of developing preeclampsia again, so instead of fixating on those things you have no control over, I found it helpful to stay in good communication with your provider, be alert to symptoms you would not want to blow off, and take your BP at home. You are in my prayers!

I hope others jump on here to offer other ideas for dealing with anxiety in a second pregnancy.

Warm wishes,
Eleni
Eleni Z. Tsigas
Executive Director
Preeclampsia Foundation

2x PE survivor; 29 week daughter died, 35 week IUGR son made it after 2 weeks of NICU fun; 3rd pregnancy PE-free resulted in strapping 8 pounder son, born at term.

kelsey.pfaff

Worried about Preeclampsia and HELLP a second time

Postby kelsey.pfaff » Thu May 18, 2017 03:36 pm

Hi Everyone,

My 1st daughter was born just shy of 30 weeks due to Preeclampsia and I believe HELLP syndrome. I was sent to a specialty hospital where everything happened kind of fast and I just know the doctor who delivered my daughter decided we needed to go ahead and due so "due to my liver numbers weren't looking so good".

I had a pretty normal pregnancy up until 29 weeks and then everything happened fast. Luckily, I worked at my OB/GYN's office at the time and had told the nurse I hadn't felt right over the weekend and she checked my blood pressure which was very high and I had protein in my urine. They sent me to the hospital where I received steroid shots for my daughter's lungs and then was taken by ambulance to a more specialized hospital an hour away. I was there for 5 days (they were hoping to get me to 34 weeks) but after 5 days of my blood pressure never really going down even with magnesium sulfate, and my blood levels "not looking good" the doctor delivered my daughter via C-section and she weight 3 lbs. We were very lucky and she only spent a month in the NICU and I was able to go home after 5 more days of monitoring.

For a while I did not think I would have any more children because that whole experience was traumatic, although I am so thankful for a good outcome. But when my daughter turned 3 we decided to try again for one more child and I am now 14 weeks pregnant. Just recently I have begun to have a lot of anxiety about developing Preeclampsia again. I had talked to my OB before getting pregnant and she did not advise for me NOT to but recommended I try before I was 30 and to not wait too long between pregnancies. She said I had about a 15% of developing it again but it could come earlier or later. She said I would be monitored and recommended I get an at home blood pressure monitor. I have been checking my blood pressure regularly and so far so good.

I worry about everything so it has been both good/bad to read online forums as there are many success stories but also sad stories of women who did develop preeclampsia again with not so good outcomes. This week I have had headaches, but also sore throat/drainage so I am assuming it is from sinus issues as I have been monitoring my blood pressure at home and it has continued to be normal.

I just wanted to share my experience and it helps to get some of this off my chest. If you are religious I ask that you please prayer for me, and if not, just send good vibes my way. I keep having thoughts about dying due to this complication and leaving my daughter and husband behind or that my baby will be born extremely early and pass away.

For anyone dealing with this type of anxiety or struggling with thoughts of a second child, my thoughts are with you!

Return to “Pregnant Again?”