Brewer Diet?

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.

Re : Brewer Diet?

Postby sarahedgcomb » Sun Sep 28, 2003 05:57 am

Hi Taras Mom,

I don't know if you were serious when you asked if Dr. Brewer recommends anything for women with slower metabolisms. However if you are serious and would like to know what his books says, here are a couple of excerpts.

When to start the Diet:

"A 2,000 calorie per day intake and a well balanced diet when you're not pregnant probably meet the needs of most women of childbearing age. Your calorie needs increase progressively as pregnancy goes on, even if your activity level remains the same. Growing a baby takes a lot of calories. In the first few months of pregnancy, the baby is very tiny and doesn't require large amounts of nutrients, so your appetite may not tell you to eat more. But usually by the fourth or fifth month the 2,500 - 3,000 calorie range becomes more like it, and your appetite increases. If it doesn't you need to find out why."

Calories and Protein:

"The overall aim is for the mother expecting one baby to have 2,600 calories and 100 grams of protein each day, plus salt and other essential minerals and vitamins she needs.... In a normal pregnancy, the mother develops a good appetite, so the single rule governing amounts of food is: eat to appetite. Mothers who are underweight at conception may develop much larger appetites during pregnancy than those of normal weight. Mothers expecting twins or super multiples, need a minimum of 500 more calories and 30 grams more protein daily -for each extra baby."

Sarah
sarahedgcomb

Postby taras mom » Mon Sep 29, 2003 06:19 pm

Of course I was serious; thanks for your reply. This is certainly more realistic than a blanket 3300-calorie-a-day recommendation. Still not a cure for preeclampsia, unfortunately, but more realistic.

Tara Mairichi
12/7-12/9, 2002
My little angel
taras mom

Postby annegarrett » Mon Sep 29, 2003 07:18 pm

Hopefully it is a cure for some women. It is unfortunate that something as simple as healthy eating is contentious--I think that is in part because many women--either due to extreme poverty, or hyperemesis--cannot control what nutrition they bring into their bodies so the diet cure is a frustrating one. And there are others, like me, with autoimmune diseases, and no matter how healthy your diet--you still are at risk.

I like to say--pregnancy is like a glass of water. If you start with a bit of extra weight--that is 1 oz, if you start with pre-existing hypertension, another oz, if you had preeclampsia before, three ounces, if you have an autoimmune disorder add an ounce. Pregnancy itself is a full six-ounces. Preeclampsia is when the cup runneth over the edge. Some women--who just have a normal cup--no extra water in there already--will be able to use a healthy diet to keep the disease at bay--other women won't. There is no question that we have our share of challenges. I am grateful that we can support one another--whatever path we take. In the end--a healthy baby and mother is our goal. I would be the first person to thank Dr. Brewer if his diet actually prevented this disease.

Thanks for the healthy debate.

Anne
annegarrett

Postby taras mom » Mon Sep 29, 2003 11:41 pm

You'd be first in a long line, and you'd be out of a job! What would you do with all that spare time?

Tara Mairichi
12/7-12/9, 2002
My little angel
taras mom

Postby annegarrett » Tue Sep 30, 2003 00:29 am

I am sure I could think of something...[;)]

Anne
annegarrett

Postby shdavi » Mon Jul 19, 2004 03:27 pm

Please advise where to get info on the Brewer's Diet, what does it consist of etc.
shdavi

Postby coenenites » Tue Jul 20, 2004 08:01 am

I had to register just to be able to step in and say that I have had MANY friends who have done the Brewer diet and have had TERRIFIC outcomes. In fact one had toxemia in a previous pregnancy and had a 50% chance of getting it again. She didn't. I am really surprised at the way Sarah as well as the Midwife were attacked, not just by other members but by you Anne - come on now 'shame on you'??? Well shame on you for not allowing someone to voice their opinions. I am on the Brewer/Bradley diet and have to say that I have had NO complications - not even morning sickness. It makes sense, why wouldn't you encourage someone to try it? Ok, maybe it's not an all cure, but there is no way that it can hurt you - it's a HEALTHY diet. I am in week 13 and have gained 4 pounds, much less then my friends who are 'free for all'. Bravo to you who are willing to give it a try - check ou the support pages at the Bradley website, it's a lot more encouraging than this one. [:(!]
coenenites

Postby laura » Tue Jul 20, 2004 10:58 am

Coentities, thanks for sharing your opinion. In the best interests and health of our members we try not to deal with anecdotal evidence and supposition here, and have no compunction with highlighting the difference between science and opinion. To do anything else would be unkind. We follow the lead of our Expert Medical Board who agrees with this "opinion" (more vehemently than we do, I can mention.)

I can only assume from what you've mentioned that you don't have preeclampsia, nor have you had preeclampsia, so unfortunately, that precludes you from weighing in on this debate. People who have this disease feel differently than people who have not. I'd like to point you to this thread from another Bradley/Brewer alumna who was also feeling pretty satisfied around week 13:
http://www.preeclampsia.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2274

This topic has been discussed ad nauseum and at this point, there's really nothing else to say- all that's left is cheerleading. And no, shame on ME for not letting everyone be heard, because I'm making an executive decision and locking this topic. Our members seeking information can learn what they need to from this link from our Medical Experts:
http://www.preeclampsia.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3919

Links to the site in question will be edited, we don't permit links to commercial sites that purport to treat, cure, or otherwise mitigate the causes or effects of preeclampsia.

Laura
Forum Administrator

laura

Postby laura » Tue Jul 20, 2004 12:20 am

For those seeking a healthy diet to follow during pregnancy here's a link to the ACOG diet (American College of Obstetrics and Gynecology)

http://www.preeclampsia.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1820

But we must mention that the Preeclampsia Foundation does not endorse any diet and encourages all women (particularly those with special considerations such as diabetes and kidney disease) to consult their doctors before trying any diet that they read about either here, elsewhere on the web, or through word of mouth.

Laura
Forum Administrator
laura

Previous

Return to Pregnant Again?