Looking for support

Are you worried about your partners pregnancy? Has your partner already had preeclampsia? Do you have advice for other dads who could be going through similar experiences as yourself? Post here!

Re : Looking for support

Postby newdad » Wed Aug 17, 2005 08:53 am

The last couple of days have been extremely hectic. I am now the proud father of a 2 pound 2 ounce baby boy. He must be the most beautiful thing that we have ever seen. All things considered, he is doing quite well. The hospital we are at has an excellent Neonatal facility. A few days before the birth one of the neonatologist bieifed us on what we might expect. It made the experience a little less scary.

My wife's ob group is really good too. When we were admitted, they started us on the steroid injections becuase they wanted the baby's lungs to develop as much as possible. When he was born he was breathing on his own for soem time but after some xrays revealed that his lungs were still immature they placed him on a ventilator.

The real complications were that my wife was feeling terrible. Her preeclampsia began to get worse after the baby was born. Right now she appears to be doing much better and we are still in the hospital.

I am greatly encouraged by stories like cassie05's. Our son was 28 weeks and 5 days. I realize that there are ups and downs but after he was born it was like I had a new burst of energy.

I can't thank each person who responded with information and words of encouragement enough. This forum really helped out. I will keep you posted as we continue.
newdad

Postby frasiah » Wed Aug 17, 2005 09:05 am

Congratulations on your baby boy. Please know that we shall continue to keep him and his mother on our prayers.
frasiah
Forum Moderator

Postby gordon k » Wed Aug 17, 2005 09:59 am

Congratulations on your new son!

Great to hear that you have vigilant neonatologists and OB's; that should help a lot with peace of mind. I'd continue to keep an eye on your wife and help keep her doctors posted on how she's doing. The reason I say this is that my wife had post-partum preeclampsia, and there was a point in time she felt so bad I had to call the hospital--and she has no recollection of this because of the effects of her preeclampsia. Some doctors (not our peri, thankfully) have told us that post-partum preeclampsia does not exist, and we know from personal experience that this is not true. Glad to hear that your wife is doing better. Although she and your son are still in the hospital, hope you find comfort that they are getting round-the-clock care.

Continued prayers for all of you,
gordon k

Postby anathor21 » Wed Aug 17, 2005 01:09 pm

Congratulations!

I am glad to see the update as I was wondering how things were going.
anathor21

Postby melissam » Wed Aug 17, 2005 01:23 pm

Congratulations on your baby boy. I hope that he will do well. It really is scary to go through anything like this. It sounds like you are in good hands there at the hospital. Good luck and keep us posted on your sweet baby boy.
melissam

Postby rachel a » Wed Aug 17, 2005 02:07 pm

Oh wow! Congratulations! It sounds like things are going well and your wife is improving--yes??

I am so proud for the both of you and for Samuel. Which, by they way, I absolutely love that name!! Congrats, congrats and keep us posted on how Samuel and your wife are doing.
rachel a

Postby angelkat » Wed Aug 17, 2005 02:50 pm

Congrats on your baby boy!!...
angelkat

Postby jillmushet » Wed Aug 17, 2005 03:36 pm

Congratulations on the arrival of Samual James! Looking forward to updates on his progress as well as your wife's. I'm glad she is feeling better today.
jillmushet

Postby fiona » Wed Aug 17, 2005 04:39 pm

Many congratulations on the birth of your baby boy. The NICU ride can be a bit of a roller coaster, so please don't hesitate to come back for support should you feel the need. I hope your wife continues to improve.
fiona
Forum Moderator

Postby cmt » Wed Aug 17, 2005 06:39 pm

Congratulations!
cmt

PreviousNext

Return to Dads