Looking for support

Are you worried about your partners pregnancy? Has your partner already had preeclampsia? Do you have advice for other dads who could be going through similar experiences as yourself? Post here!
anathor21

Re : Looking for support

Postby anathor21 » Mon Aug 15, 2005 08:10 am

Welcome!

It is very hard to say what to expect - everyone's experience is different and the progression of this disease varies widely. No matter what happens, however, you can expect that your DW will need a lot of support and likely you too will need some help.

In terms of progression - (mind you I'm not a doctor, just a dad who has done a bit of reading) - from what you wrote and your doctors are saying it sounds like you will likely be a daddy to a preemie. Most of the actual work at first will be up to the doctors/nurses - you will have to stay strong and positive for your wife - this is almost certainly not the way she expected to become a mother and may feel that she somehow is responsible or a failure.

I recommend that you let the word out (if you have not already) to your 'local support' - i.e. friends/family/church/work that she is facing a difficult time and that this "event" is likely to drag on for several weeks if not months. You will need their support and when folks offer help don't turn them down, but you may want to ask what they are willing to do and then plan to get back to them when you need that sort of help.

For information - this is the best place I've found. Post your questions/concerns and folks will post links to the information if you ask. Everyone here understands that you likely don't have a lot of time to go digging for answers right now. Feel free to send me a private note with your contact info if you want to email/chat/phone directly (just click on the anathor21 next to message and send a private email).

Good luck and do let me know how things go.

newdad

Looking for support

Postby newdad » Mon Aug 15, 2005 06:35 am

My wife is pregnant with our first and has been hospitalized with preeclampsia. She is 28 weeks (Wednesday will be 29).We have been in the hospital now since Thursday (4 days). Early in the pregnancy (first trimester or so), she had a blood test that revealed a high AFP level and we were informed that this might be a possibility. The doctors and nurses have been great but I am hoping to get some feedback from others who have experienced what we are going through.

My wife's blood pressure and protein in her urine were the indicators at a routine Dr's visit. Her BP was 156/92 and they said that protein was present. They ordered an ultra sound and 24 hour protein monitoring and blood work. The ultrasound revealed that the baby's growth was slowing. His abdomen was not the typical size. The blood work came back normal and the protein test revealed a little more than 1G.

My wife's BP has remained consistent since being hospitalized (around 137/78 - 141/82). They have ordered another blood test and protein monitor to start today.

The doctors are taking things day by day but do not believe that we will be able to make it more than 32 weeks (they are doubtful that we will get that far).

Being new to the whole pregnancy game to begin with this is has thrown me for a loop. I would appreciate some feedback to let me know what to expect.

Thanks

Return to “Dads”