Wife just diagnosed with PE, what to do?

Are you worried about your partners pregnancy? Has your partner already had preeclampsia? Do you have advice for other dads who could be going through similar experiences as yourself? Post here!
Registered User
Posts: 5139
Joined: Tue Jan 28, 2003 12:17 am
Location: Anchorage, AK

Re : Wife just diagnosed with PE, what to do?

Postby laura » Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:56 am

I am so sorry but I have to agree with Fiona. If that pressure is accurate, it puts her at a greatly increased risk of having a seizure, stroke, or other serious nervous system event. Many, many, many doctors have not only admitted women with pressures lower than your wife's, they've given them anticonvulsants to prevent them from developing eclampsia.

You know, I'm really worried about your wife's blood pressure, so I'm going to send your post to one of our medical board doctors so you can get another opinion, so stay tuned, ok?

Hang in there. This stuff can be scary, but you guys can do this!

Forum Moderator
Posts: 5767
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2004 08:33 pm

Re : Wife just diagnosed with PE, what to do?

Postby fiona » Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:46 am

Hello and welcome,

are you certain her BP was 180/114? A diagnosis of pe is made by two BP readings of 140/90 (or higher) taken 6 hours apart plus 300mg of protein or higher in a 24 hour urine test.

My expectations (from experience, not medical training) would have been to send your wife into L&D immediately. 180/114 is an incredibly high reading (my OB wanted me in hospital if I hit 160/106) and many doctors would deliver - especially so close to term.

Personally, I wouldn't wait until Friday - I would take her in now. Preeclampsia can develop extremely fast - in a matter of hours - and a BP at that level scares me.

The only cure for pe is delivery - lucklily your wife is at a very good place should that be necessary, but I am afraid the birth experience is unlikely to be the one you were both hoping for. What's important now is that your wife and baby are safe - preeclampsia is not a wait and see kind of disease. I wouldn't rest easy until her BP was taken again.

Registered User
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:03 am

Wife just diagnosed with PE, what to do?

Postby tooleyg » Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:11 am

Last night our midwife took a high BP reading (180/114) on my wife, and she spilled protein in her urine. She has some swelling of her hands and feet, but no dizziness or seeing spots like you would expect from that high of a BP. We are 35 weeks along in our first pregnancy and up until now everything was going great. We see the midwife again on Friday (3 days later) to verify the high BP reading, and get some lab tests if it’s still high.

We were hoping to have a natural birth at home, but it looks like things have changed. From what I have found on the web it sounds like most doctors would like to induce sooner rather than later.

If the tests on Friday confirm PE, what steps can my wife and I take to reduce the effects, and help her deliver naturally? Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

Return to “Dads”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests