Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Finding Hope........

Are you worried about your partners pregnancy? Has your partner already had preeclampsia? Do you have advice for other dads who could be going through similar experiences as yourself? Post here!

Finding Hope........

Postby aavam » Wed Jan 10, 2007 07:50 pm

by aavam (2 Posts), Wed Jan 10, 2007 07:50 pm

Preeclamsia and 24th week of pregnancy

My wife started her 24th week of preganancy today. She had controlled BP before the pregnancy started and during the start of her 23rd week her BP gone as high as 130/210 which eventually brought down to 90/140 and had been fluctuating 90-100/140-150. Two days ago 24 hour urine test result showed arounf 350 grams of protein. Now Beside everything else is going good so far. My wife is feeling good and no hedaches or any other pain or swelling. Ultrasound also showed baby's growth is slow and less then 500 grams. We have been told that any day the doctors are going to terminate the pregnancy and since the fetus is less then 500 grams it is not vaible or will not survive. We are hoping to reaching atleast the end of 28th week and have this baby. Mom and baby are the stars of my life.
Thank you very much for your support and suggestions...
aavam

Re : Finding Hope........

Postby sarab » Wed Jan 10, 2007 08:12 pm

by sarab (2950 Posts), Wed Jan 10, 2007 08:12 pm

I am so sorry to read of you and your wife's situation. Is your wife hospitalized right now? I'm sorry that it is looking like your baby may not make it. You mentioned hoping to make it to 28 weeks - what are her docs thinking the chances of that are?

Please ask any questions you may have, and keep us updated when you have a minute. You, your wife, and your sweet baby will be in my prayers.
sarab
Site Admin

Postby melissam » Wed Jan 10, 2007 09:13 pm

by melissam (3074 Posts), Wed Jan 10, 2007 09:13 pm

Please keep us posted. I am so sorry to hear about all of this. I had my baby at 24 weeks and she was MUCH less than 500 grams. Do they have her on Magnesium? Are her blood pressures stable for now?

You will be in my thoughts and prayers as will your wife and baby.
melissam

Postby fiona » Wed Jan 10, 2007 09:48 pm

by fiona (5767 Posts), Wed Jan 10, 2007 09:48 pm

Sid,

I am terribly sorry to hear things are so bad right now. I wish I could offer you something positive to hold on to, but my own experience was similar and my son was born at 26 weeks weighing 525g. He lived for two days. I think that at such an early point in pregnancy, the IUGR (intra uterine growth retardation) which stops the baby from growing properly is very hard to overcome. However, preemies can and do surprise everyone every day, and there is always the chance that your baby will do that.

Have they given your wife steroid shots to give the baby's lungs their best chance?

Please come back to ask any questions or just to let us know how you are all doing. I remember feeling very alone lying in hospital hoping that somehow everything would work out. Please know that you and your wife have lots of support here.
fiona
Forum Moderator

Postby gordon k » Wed Jan 10, 2007 09:50 pm

by gordon k (113 Posts), Wed Jan 10, 2007 09:50 pm

Hello aavam and welcome to the forum. I wish it was with a slightly less stressful topic that you were seeking advice on but, nonetheless, good to have you join us.

I guess I'd probably need a few more pieces of information to offer specific advice or suggestions, such as:

-How comfortable are you with your current medical team and the care that they are providing; are they experts in this field (perinatology, or more specifically, hypertension in pregnancy); have they clearly answered all your questions and alleviated your fears historically.

-Is it possible to seek a second opinion.

Termination, for myself and my wife, would always be the last possible option. But, it may be a truth, and necessary. However, since it is the last option I would make sure that both you and your wife are satisfied that all viable medical alternatives have been exhausted, and that you totally trust her medical team, literally, with your wife and your baby's lives.

My general suggestions would be:

-Talk to you current care provider about taking the baby to 28 weeks
-Ask your provider if they are consulting with a perinatologist (if they are NOT a perinatologist). If so, what is their recommendation?
-If you are still not comfortable with the answers you're receiving, get a second, or even third, opinion. Do your homework and find someone that you feel is qualified to help you make this decision.

Good luck and God Bless.
gordon k

Postby kara » Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:34 pm

by kara (6614 Posts), Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:34 pm

Sending prayers for a safe and prolonged pregnancy. And just to add that we have a handful of members with 26 week babies who were all around the 1pound mark at birth and are active and healthy kids today. So, if for your wife's sake they have to take the baby, there is possibility that baby has a chance. Wishing you a few more weeks!
kara
Forum Moderator

Postby aavam » Thu Jan 11, 2007 02:25 pm

by aavam (2 Posts), Thu Jan 11, 2007 02:25 pm

Thank You very much for the kind words, support and prayers.

Today we had a detailed discussion with Doc and she explained lots of things in detail (good and bad). She thinks that her BP is OK for now but a bit concerned with placenta blood flow as well as her blood and urine test results. Although the results are ok for now and they will continue to monitor the situation. She is perinatologist and will seek second opionion for our situation as well. Thats where we stand, taking one day at a time and praying and hoping the best. Sometimes the time doesn't run that fast as it suppose to. Again thank you all very much and will keep you posted.
Sid

aavam

Postby for faith » Thu Jan 11, 2007 02:32 pm

by for faith (1749 Posts), Thu Jan 11, 2007 02:32 pm

Sid - Sending my prayers for your wife and baby and you. Glad to hear you have good care. Praying that all will go well.
for faith

Postby gordon k » Thu Jan 11, 2007 04:31 pm

by gordon k (113 Posts), Thu Jan 11, 2007 04:31 pm

Sid,

I am encouraged to hear that you had such a detailed conversation with your wife's healthcare provider. Your role at this time really is trying to be your wife's advocate, trying to keep her as calm as possible, and making sure that you've gathered enough information to make the most informed decisions that you can. It really does sound like you're right on track so, keep doing what you're doing. Stay strong and stay informed.

I will pray that time moves a little faster for you. God Bless.
gordon k

Postby annegarrett » Thu Jan 11, 2007 04:35 pm

by annegarrett (2525 Posts), Thu Jan 11, 2007 04:35 pm

I know there are excellent hypertension in pregnancy at the University of British Columbia. If your doctor needs someone from our medical team to talk with--email me and I will put you in touch with them. Wishing you one more day, every day for the next few weeks. Sadly, we have too many members who know just where you are. Irregardless of what happens--consider this a safe place for support. I am glad that she is stable in the hospital and that you are getting the best possible care. Write me or any of us anytime. We are also available for phone support. Call our 800-665-9341 number and they will forward you to the support staff on-call.

Take care and thinking of you...
annegarrett

Next

Return to Dads