Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Questions and Frustrations

Are you worried about your partners pregnancy? Has your partner already had preeclampsia? Do you have advice for other dads who could be going through similar experiences as yourself? Post here!

Re : Questions and Frustrations

Postby Dawn D » Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:52 pm

Hi Jerry, I am just now reading through these posts. So sorry I didn't see them sooner, but glad the others here have provided you with helpful advice/support. I hope that by now you and your wife have been able to welcome your daughter home and that everyone's health is well.

I live in Southeastern PA and my daughter was delivered at a Phila hospital ....so if by chance you check back in here, please send me a direct email (click my screenname). I (and I'm sure my husband too) can relate in many ways to the feelings and concerns you expressed in your posts.

Sending you best wishes.
Dawn D

Postby joeysmommy » Fri Oct 12, 2007 06:20 am

Hi everyone! I'm Jerry's wife, Tina. I wanted to give you all an update as to where we are today. And to thank everyone for their support throughout this entire ordeal! My husband needed information and I couldn't help him with it, I'm glad you were all here for him. When I was on bed rest, I saw his first post, but hadn't seen the others, so when I read them I was a bit teary eyed. It wasn't a pleasant experience, but I would do it all over again if I had to -Joey is amazing!

Joey was released from the hospital after 12 days in the special care unit. Those 12 days were hard for me, as Jerry had said above...I was an emotional mess. But, I tried to save my breakdowns for when we were home or in the car going home. I lost it a few times in the hospital just out of shear frustration. Joey came home on an Apnea monitor and two medications for reflux (zantac & reglan). Long story short on the meds. Every time I gave her the reglan she puked, gagged, and twice stopped breathing. The two times she stopped breathing where bad. Luckily, I was right there and saw her. She would stop breathing, not respond to my touches, and then turn blue! The first time it happened I did what I needed to do and got her going. Waited for Jerry and Joey to go to sleep and then I spent about 3 hours crying. The second time I took her off of the medication. She has been fine ever since -no blue spells! She continued to have apnea spells until last month -wahoo! Last month, no apneas on the monitor download, but there were 21 brady cardias, so they want to continue the apnea monitor at least for another month. We are hoping that by the holidays she will be off of it.

At her two month check up in August, she was 8lbs 14oz and the doctors are happy with her development. When she was released, they wanted us to take her to a pediatrician ENT. She was 3 weeks old when we took her and she was diagnosed with Laryngomalacia (say that one 10 times fast!). This is what is causing the obstructive apnea and the reflux. Only time will take care of it and we think it is getting better -we can tell by the voice and congestion sounds that go along with laryngo. We see the ENT again in a few months for another follow-up.

All in all, things are going great. Joey is an incredible baby. She only cries when she is hungry (or has gas!), she's been sleeping through the night since she was two months, she's made her own schedule which typically involves a 9pm to 9am sleep schedule at night! I am back to work and Jerry is staying with her during the day. As much as he doesn't like not working, he is sooo enjoying spending the time with her. They have that father/daughter bond already and it is very cute.

Okay....enough babble from me! Thank you all!
joeysmommy

Postby cindyh27 » Fri Oct 12, 2007 09:49 am

Tina,

Congratulations on your little baby girl Joey (love that name!) I’m so glad to hear she is improving everyday… 8lbs 14oz at her two month check-up is wonderful! My son had mild case of Laryngomalacia which he has since outgrown… he will be 8 months tomorrow… nothing like your daughter who had breathing obstructions… very scary! I’m so glad to hear her blue spells have since passed.

Thanks so much for the update! I hope you are feeling better too! Congratulations to all three of you :)

Cindy
cindyh27

Postby Dawn D » Mon Nov 05, 2007 03:00 pm

Hi Tina, it's wonderful to hear from you and to know Joey is growing and gaining! The forums are a great resource for info and continued support, and if you need anything here locally, feel free to email me directly....there is a nice "team" of us here in PA that would be happy to be/stay in touch.

wishing you well as Joey continues to manage the meds and gets better from the reflux, etc. !

Dawn D

Previous

Return to Dads