Post Reply FAQ Members Login

What can I do and how worried should I be?

Are you worried about your partners pregnancy? Has your partner already had preeclampsia? Do you have advice for other dads who could be going through similar experiences as yourself? Post here!

Re : What can I do and how worried should I be?

Postby chrism » Mon Nov 26, 2007 06:09 pm

just thought i'd post a quick update.
Emma's BP kept rising for most of the weekend and spiked on Sunday at around 4 at 157/94.
This combined with a continuing headache caused me to make the trip to maternity. After a 2 odd hour wait, we got seen to. Emma's BP had fallen by this stage to around 137/82 which we were told is fine.

Her urine was clear of protein though which is the important thing. So hopefully the threat of PE is abated for the moment.

So we were sent home and told to take it easy, although her headache still persists.

The hospital staff were a bit unhelpful reallt though, as all they could keep saying was that 'really, she's very early to be exhibiting signs of PE', to which I replied that that was exactly my concern. Still due for a midwife appointment on wed, so we'll see how that goes.

Many thanks for the concern and help from all involved here. It has been greatly appreciated.
chrism

Postby lgw » Mon Nov 26, 2007 06:26 pm

Chris:
I hate to hear that the hospital staff wasn't helpful. Please be vigilant as there are many of us here who have had very early onset PE. I delivered my first son at just 21 weeks. So - while it is rare to exhibit symptom of PE so early, it is possible. Please look again at the signs and symptoms page and go back to the hospital if symptoms worsen.
Leslie
lgw

Postby fiona » Mon Nov 26, 2007 06:27 pm

Chris, I'm glad you went in and got checked out. Do you know what Emma's non-pregnancy BP is? One of the things we notice with BP in pregnancy is that if starts to become labile, it's often a precursor to it going up and staying up.

Please keep a close eye on it. I would also ask to be referred on by your midwife to a consultant.
fiona
Forum Moderator

Postby dja » Tue Nov 27, 2007 00:41 am

Chris - I just wanted to add my voice here. The labile BPs are worrisome. I had labile BPs plus "the headache" about a week before I had to deliver my daughter at 21 weeks, 5 days. With various trips to labor and delivery, the nurses kept telling me it was too early for PE, and the urine test strips showed no protein. They could always get my high BP to go down, then sent me home. It was a very dangerous situation as my BPs kept climbing and I ended up with liver problems. I found that my judgment was impaired - I was suffering from severe swelling, including in my skull. Even when I had excruciating pain in my ribs and chest, I told my husband we should wait to go to the hospital until morning - I wasn't in my right mind and I was terrified, so please be aware that this illness can affect a woman's judgment. Keep us posted. I hope you can get a little more time for the baby to stay "in".
dja

Postby rachelc » Thu Nov 29, 2007 04:24 pm

I always hated the comments about it being too early to have pe. I heard it with my last two pregnancies and both times I had early onset preeclampsia. The last time, I was just 22 weeks. Yes it is early but, it is possible. I'm glad that you have found this website. I know that it has helped me get through a lot of tough times during my pregnancies.
rachelc

Postby annegarrett » Fri Nov 30, 2007 03:05 am

Everyone's given you great advice so I wouldn't suggest anything else but wanted to elaborate on the APEC recommendation. Action on Pre-eclampsia is actually an organization that helped define who we are as they are about 20 years old now. They are based in Harrow but are really readily available and of course much more familiar with UK guidelines than any of us would be. I can tell you that the UK has had a phenomenal drop in bad maternal outcomes due to a combination of factors but they are really at the forefront in care (of course, that might also be in part a reaction to a massive settlement last year because of a bad outcome). The website is www.apec.org.uk and we have NO problem with your using them and staying active here. We are very collaborative and supportive of one another. They can guide you through this process and they also can help you advocate for better care.

Hope to hear nothing but good news from you--stay in touch!

annegarrett

Postby avenkess » Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:33 pm

I just wanted to emphasize something--Sometimes protein does not show up on the strips. I have pre-eclampsia, and mine doesn't. I suggest you request a 24 hour urine catch if she hasn't had one already, and that be tested for protein(a real test, not the strips.) That was where they found my protein. It sounds like she does have pre-e and this very simple test may confirm it so they can start treating her properly. A headache that doesn't go away could be a very good indicator that she has pre-e and it's progressing fast. Good luck.
avenkess

Previous

Return to Dads