Doctors giving us the run-around

Are you worried about your partners pregnancy? Has your partner already had preeclampsia? Do you have advice for other dads who could be going through similar experiences as yourself? Post here!
sam10
Forum Moderator

Re: Doctors giving us the run-around

Postby sam10 » Mon Apr 18, 2016 00:53 am

How is your wife doing? I hope that the doctor and nurses have been more responsive to your wife's symptoms.
MC 3/2009 and 3/2011
H (1/1/2010-1/7/2010) - forever loved and missed; severe PE with Hellp; partial placental abruption, classical c-section at 25.6 weeks
M (Nov. 2012, born at 35.4 weeks) - severe PE

gordon_k

Postby gordon_k » Wed Apr 13, 2016 05:48 pm

Hello Nrekow2,

No it's not normal. Your wife is miserable and this should be one of the happiest times in your life, not horrible.

As the dad/husband, it's time to get make the doctor take notice and advocate for your wife. When my wife was pregnant we were very blessed to have a great doctor, but even he told us to stand up for ourselves. I would discuss this directly with the doctor and make sure that you understand exactly what is going on and why they think this is alright. If this is OK, when should you be concerned? What blood pressure is too high? Swelling for how long? Black spots in her vision?

Normally, I am not an 'in your face' kind of guy, but when it came to my wife's and unborn child's health I was very engaged. It's okay and good, and it sounds like it's time to step in and make sure that your wife and child are getting the kind of care they deserve.
Gordon
Patient Support Network Dad Volunteer

alviarin
Forum Moderator

Postby alviarin » Thu Apr 07, 2016 03:58 pm

Also, something I did in my second pregnancy once my pressures were trending up -and I felt my OB was blowing off my concerns- was ask for a consult with a MFM (https://www.smfm.org) specializing in high risk pregancies. The MFM laid out a more frequent testing and monitoring schedule that my OB was then obliged to follow.
Hypothyroid mom to
Connor (severe pre-e at 38 weeks)
Claire (dx'd with pre-e and induction at 37 weeks)
Annabelle (chronic HTN & GD, superimposed pre-e @34 weeks, induction @37 weeks)

alviarin
Forum Moderator

Postby alviarin » Thu Apr 07, 2016 03:55 pm

I'm so sorry you are dealing with this.

If I were you I would definitely go back in Friday, and of course sooner if your wife's symptoms increase or worsen. Those pressures are a significant increase over her normal baseline. Besides repeat testing, I would want some better guidelines from your health care provider on when they want you to call in vs. head straight to L&D if her symptoms worsen. And ask how frequent her appointments should be based on current symptoms. You could also ask them about kick counting: http://www.countthekicks.org

If your wife's symptoms are caused by preeclampsia, delivery is the only thing that will make things better eventually. However, unless your wife's symptoms become severe (such as bad bloodwork results or other symptoms of HELLP syndrome, signs of central nervous system involvement [vision loss, hyprerefflexia, severe headache], trouble breathing due to pulmonary edema, uncontrolled severe hypertension), they will usually try to hold off delivery until 37 weeks. It is a waiting game and a balancing act, trying to determine what is best for mom and baby, which can change quickly based on symptoms and lab results.

Sometimes a bath or even a dip in the pool can help mobilize some of the extra fluid temporarily. For me personally, when I gained several pounds in a day it was a sign of worsening preclampsia. For more signs and symptoms of preeclampsia: http://www.preeclampsia.org/health-info ... n-symptoms

Something you could do at home is buy a home blood pressure monitor. My OB would have me check my pressures morning and evening to help spot any trends.

Please keep us posted as you are able.
Hypothyroid mom to
Connor (severe pre-e at 38 weeks)
Claire (dx'd with pre-e and induction at 37 weeks)
Annabelle (chronic HTN & GD, superimposed pre-e @34 weeks, induction @37 weeks)

Nrekow2

Doctors giving us the run-around

Postby Nrekow2 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 09:34 pm

Hello everyone,

The past couple weeks have been pretty stressful. My wife is 34 weeks and is constantly having high blood pressure, (today she measured 139/89 when before she was usually 110/70), and her face, eyes, hands, fingers, feet are pretty swollen. Some days are bad enough that she can't move her toes and can't make a fist. In the past 2 weeks she has put on 7 pounds, and overall she has gone from 95 pre pregnancy to 150. In her entire life she's never been more than 105.

She has occasional headaches, complains to me about blurry vision every now and again (not regular) and said she has seen "sparkles".

She still throws up about once a week, with the most recent being yesterday. It's nothing compared to the 1st and 2nd trimesters though, where she was throwing up multiple times a day and we were at the ER for IV fluids pretty regularly.

Our most recent visit to the doctor for her regular check up, our normal OB wasn't there (left for a delivery) and we saw a nurse. She noted that there was some protein in my wife's samples, and that in conjunction with her symptoms we should do some blood work and a 24 hour urine sample. When my wife called today for the results, they said "everything looks normal" and if my wife experiences swelling or anything to call. My wife says "I've been non-stop swollen for 3 weeks now" and they say well, if it doesn't go away by Friday come in and we will do blood and urine test again.

What the heck? Does this seem normal to anyone? I'm not sure what to do at this point. My wife is pretty much bed ridden and is having a terrible time. It's really put us off from having any more kids, because this pregnancy has literally been * for her. Any suggestions on ways to lower blood pressure, swelling? I really am not sure what to do now with the doctors saying everything is fine, when everything is quite the opposite.

Thanks

Return to “Dads”