Need some advice and opinions.

Are you worried about your partners pregnancy? Has your partner already had preeclampsia? Do you have advice for other dads who could be going through similar experiences as yourself? Post here!

Re: Need some advice and opinions.

Postby gordon_k » Mon Apr 25, 2016 04:32 pm

Sorry you're away from your wife; I've been there and it's very difficult to be away from your wife at this time. I'm sure that it's not helping decrease your level of stress.

From my own personal experience, preeclampsia is different from case-to-case, and even among pregnancies of the same mom, like my wife.

Best bet in my opinion, is to ask her doctor, or for her to ask her doctor: what does she need to look out for? when does she need to come in? I hope that she feels comfortable calling her doctor and/or L&D after hours should she have any questions. Self-monitoring at home, along with the doctor giving specific guidelines of when to come in and when to go straight to L&D will give you some guidance.

Hopefully she's very comfortable with her doctor, as are you, so that you can work with him or her to get through to the end of the pregnancy with a healthy mom and baby.

Glad that your wife has her mom, has someone there, to help monitor.

Wishing you and your wife the best,
Patient Support Network Dad Volunteer

Forum Moderator

Re: Need some advice and opinions.

Postby alviarin » Fri Apr 22, 2016 01:47 am

I'm so sorry to hear that your wife is dealing with preeclampsia. It must be so hard to be so far apart during this time.

The average time between diagnosis of preeclampsia and delivery is two weeks. However that average includes women who limp along with little or no symptoms for weeks, and those who rapidly worsen in a matter of hours and need to be delivered immediately. So your wife is about 32 weeks along now? If she was 37 weeks they'd just induce labor, but earlier than that they want to try to balance the interests of both mother and baby, since 1-day-in-saves-2-days-in-NICU.

Hopefully since she was released from the hospital her case isn't severe (yet). Once preeclampsia is diagnosed more frequent appointments are set up to help monitor progress. I would make sure your wife knows what symptoms she should call in vs when they would want to see her back in the hospital straight away. Please take a look at our signs and symptoms page if you haven't already: ... n-symptoms

Please keep us posted on her progress.
Hypothyroid mom to
Connor (severe pre-e at 38 weeks)
Claire (dx'd with pre-e and induction at 37 weeks)
Annabelle (chronic HTN & GD, superimposed pre-e @34 weeks, induction @37 weeks)

Need some advice and opinions.

Postby daniel.cochrane » Thu Apr 21, 2016 03:47 am

Hi there

I am currently working away in another country and was due to return home in 3 weeks. Roughly a week or 2 before the due date.

Mother and baby have been doing fine and all check ups had been without issue up to this stage.

However last night my wife rang me in a panic as they had found her BP was high (don't know the figures) and protein in her urine.

She went to the hospital and and they said she had pre eclampsia (which I had not heard of up I this point)
Now I'm really worried, she was sent home and told to come back for more tests in 48hrs. She can't stay home alone so her mother needs to stay with her which isn't an ideal situation.

My question is..once someone is diagnosed with pre eclampsia is it immediately a very serious situation? Or are some cases much less serious than others?

Return to “Dads”