post preeclampsia & birth control

Are you worried about your partners pregnancy? Has your partner already had preeclampsia? Do you have advice for other dads who could be going through similar experiences as yourself? Post here!
satoripooh

Re : post preeclampsia & birth control

Postby satoripooh » Mon Aug 30, 2004 12:18 am

the "what if" is a big one for us too. although 99% sure that we want to make this permanant, there's still that what if factor. a couple of things that outweigh that for us is the fact that our first was a boy...so we got the "name carrier" thing done and over with. the other is that we've always discussed adoption, even before Bryce.

so, with that said...exactly how does the IUD work? i did a little homework, and i know where it goes and what it look like and all that, but what i don't understand is the meunstration cycle. does it stop it? is that safe? are there any long term side affects? sorry, i'd rather hear it from a veterain than read on the internet.

anyone else? i love input! and thanks Kim!

josh & jenny
bryce 29wks 3.5.04

kim

Re : post preeclampsia & birth control

Postby kim » Mon Aug 30, 2004 10:42 am

I chose a Copper IUD. My husband was up for a vasectomy, but I did not want him to do it. The failure rate for a Copper IUD is very low. It makes you 99.9% sterile. The implantation was not very bad, just a few cramps for a couple of days. I felt it was right for us because although I am 99% sure I do not want to have another baby, no one knows what the future can bring. My IUD is good for 10 years, and it would have to removed (a pain in the rear) if I wanted to get pg again, so we would have to be VERY sure that we wanted another baby....

That said, I had a horrible experience and my daughter is almost 2 and I can invision myself wanting another in 5 years, so I am really glad we didn't choose something permanent.

Kim
Texas Chapter Coordinator

Ainsley 11/26/02-36 Weeks Preeclampsia
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/a/ainsleyk/

satoripooh

post preeclampsia & birth control

Postby satoripooh » Mon Aug 30, 2004 09:02 am

hey everyone! it's been a while since i've posted, which is a good thing, cause jenny is doin VERY well these days. she got her meds changed and she is on Diovan HCT right now. bp is perfect, frequent headaches are gone and she all but bounces around the house now!

so here's my new question. jenny and i have talked about this (birth control) EXTENSIVELY, and done tons of homework and talked to the docs also, so i'm not lookin so much for advice, as just what some of your situations and resolutions have been.

because jenny developed pre-e so early and so severely, bc is a big deal right now. given the #'s and percentage rates on your site, her odds of developing pre-e again, and possibly even worse the second time, are not good enough that we want to risk lives for another child. so anyway, vasectomy seems the way to go for US. so many of the options for women involve medical "side effects" or some very unatural inplanted "apporatus", that they don't seem worth it. not to mention the rate of failure for some of those options, which is what we DO NOT want to happen. and yes, we realize vasectomy is perminant.

so my question is, given the sensative nature of this disease and the decision of whether to "risk" it happening again, what have some of your decisions been regarding this issue and do you feel it was the "right" one for you.

josh & jenny
bryce 29wks 3.5.04

Return to “Dads”