Assistance during bedrest

Are you worried about your partners pregnancy? Has your partner already had preeclampsia? Do you have advice for other dads who could be going through similar experiences as yourself? Post here!
lucy

Re : Assistance during bedrest

Postby lucy » Sat Feb 19, 2005 09:31 pm

Goodness sounds like things are just all over the place huh its good you are keeping a close eye on her hopely you can sneak in a little rest after things get a little more settled but def keep us updated.

Lucy -Expecting a girl due date April 30,2005 supposed to be induced at 36 wks though so end of March begginning of April

Proud mommy to Sebastian Orpheus stillborn at 26 wks due to pre-eclampsia we will always love and never forget you beautiful baby boy!

Mom to Garet 8
and Angie 6 (7 in March)

gordon k

Postby gordon k » Sat Feb 19, 2005 09:18 pm

I'm not a doctor, but if it were my wife, I'd drag her to the hospital. When my wife had symptoms, she told me: "I don't want to go to the hospital." (Both times.) My response: "Mm. That's ashame. Let's go." And we went--as much as she wanted to be home with our family, I pretty much gave her no choice.

It's my understanding that from the red flags you told us about before, they've occurred. I didn't think it was optional. I highly recommend you follow the doctor's instructions.

Gordon

Gordon (38),
DW, Norlisa (35)
essential hypertension diagnosed before pregnancy, successfully treated with atenolol, post-partum preeclampsia
Joseph/Josephine Our Angel in Heaven (9/16/02)
Twins Mary Frances and Samuel (a.k.a. Frankie and Sammy) 38 2/7 weeks, 5/26/03

catherine
Forum Moderator

Postby catherine » Sat Feb 19, 2005 08:22 pm

I think that you've both made a good decision there. I think that sometimes you just have to go with the flow and just try and deal with the bad stuff as best you can. I know from personal experience that preeclampsia can turn on a dime. I also know that I will never regret getting up off the couch and going to L&D at 10:30 pm on a Saturday night, even though it meant asking my neighbors to watch my son and give me a ride because my DH was out of town, it probably saved my life, even though I felt like a complete fool at the time.

Frankly, it is my deepest wish that you'll end up looking back on this experience as just hideous inconvenience and mild discomfort... subject to the evils of other people's tuna casserole.

Please let us know how you get on tomorrow. If the headaches come back, L&D really is the best place to be. At the very least they'll be able to offer your wife some pain management and make her more comfortable.

Catherine
Mom to Finn, Lucy (preeclampsia and HELLP) and Chloe.

fiona
Forum Moderator

Postby fiona » Sat Feb 19, 2005 07:39 pm

Good. I'm sorry it's turned out this way, but there's no controlling PIH or pe and better to be safe than sorry. Please keep us updated and good luck . I'll be thinking of you both.

Fiona
dh Tom
ds Nate 12/8/97 - 14/8/97 26 weeks severe pre-e IUGR 1lb
ds Jay 4/11/98 30 weeks pre-e 3lbs 11 oz
no 3 due 15/6/05

hfwarner3

Postby hfwarner3 » Sat Feb 19, 2005 06:44 pm

Agreed. We talked tonight after I got the kids to sleep. She agrees that it was bad today and that she needs to be in the hospital. The baby is still moving around, but she is definitely worried about the next time.

We are going to make some phone calls in the morning and arrange care for the kids. If we can get it for tomorrow afternoon, we are going to call the doctor and ask to go in. Worse case scenario, we see the peri at 9:00 am Monday and we will ask to go in at the appointment.

tommysmommy21004

Postby tommysmommy21004 » Sat Feb 19, 2005 06:30 pm

I agree with Fiona!! I would definitely contact the doctor about this.

Deanna Smith-Powers (30)

Mommy to Thomas James, b.2/10/04 @ 34 weeks due to severe pre-e and HELLP syndrome
Diagnosed with prothrombin genetic mutations-12/28/04

fiona
Forum Moderator

Postby fiona » Sat Feb 19, 2005 06:21 pm

I don't want to sound like a harbinger of doom here, but if I had been your wife today, I would have been in hospital. Please consider taking her in tonight or first thing in the morning - I don't think you should be waiting for things to get that bad again before getting checked out.

Fiona
dh Tom
ds Nate 12/8/97 - 14/8/97 26 weeks severe pre-e IUGR 1lb
ds Jay 4/11/98 30 weeks pre-e 3lbs 11 oz
no 3 due 15/6/05

hfwarner3

Postby hfwarner3 » Sat Feb 19, 2005 04:23 pm

And then you sometimes have to roll with the punches.

I did not get the haircut or the latte. By the time we in-laws got her, she was feeling pretty bad. Her BP was 142/88. She seemed to be getting worse and her headache got really bad.

My in-laws took the 3 kids for lunch so that the house was nice and quiet. I was not comfortable leaving her alone, so I stayed here with her and messed around on the computer. She took a short nap, woke up, and went to the bathroom. When she came back, she was nearly in tears her head hurt so bad. I asked her if she wanted some lunch and she said that her head hurt so bad that she was too nausous to eat. I sat her down and took the BP - 148/94. I told her to lay down for 20 minutes and I was going to take it again. It was 146/92. I told her that I was going to call the doctor and she asked me to wait one more hour before I called.

I got her a cold compress for her head and about 30 minutes later she fell back asleep. When she woke up, she said she was feeling a little better. BP - 138/84. That is when the in-laws got back.

A nice woman from church dropped off dinner and I got everyone fed. She ate dinner fine. She admitted to me that she had been seeing the black spots today when it was up to 148/94. I told her that if she gets anywhere close to that condition tomorrow I am taking her straight to the hospital.

That is where we are right now. I need to run and get the kids in bed.

lucy

Postby lucy » Sat Feb 19, 2005 03:57 pm

Wow I cant add much except it seems you are really doing a great job, enjoy your mini break with the haircut and latte and both of you enjoy your movie, keep up the good work and keep everyone updated.

Lucy -Expecting a girl due date April 30,2005 supposed to be induced at 36 wks though so end of March begginning of April

Proud mommy to Sebastian Orpheus stillborn at 26 wks due to pre-eclampsia we will always love and never forget you beautiful baby boy!

Mom to Garet 8
and Angie 6 (7 in March)

jillmushet

Postby jillmushet » Sat Feb 19, 2005 09:33 am

You and your wife make a great team. Making a list of concerns. Having your wife take control where she can. It's fantastic. You're giving a blueprint for other couples in your situation to follow.

I hope that the movie this evening is great fun, and lets you step away from all the worry.

Thank you for sharing. Hugs to both of you.

By the way, the work that your wife does with the Elizabeth Ministy is very inspiring! I wonder if there is something like that in my area (Phoenix metro).

Jill
Claire, 34wks, 3lbs 3ozs
3/3/00, PE & HELLP

Return to “Dads”