Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Assistance during bedrest

Are you worried about your partners pregnancy? Has your partner already had preeclampsia? Do you have advice for other dads who could be going through similar experiences as yourself? Post here!

Re : Assistance during bedrest

Postby hfwarner3 » Sat Feb 19, 2005 06:44 pm

by hfwarner3 (141 Posts), Sat Feb 19, 2005 06:44 pm

Agreed. We talked tonight after I got the kids to sleep. She agrees that it was bad today and that she needs to be in the hospital. The baby is still moving around, but she is definitely worried about the next time.

We are going to make some phone calls in the morning and arrange care for the kids. If we can get it for tomorrow afternoon, we are going to call the doctor and ask to go in. Worse case scenario, we see the peri at 9:00 am Monday and we will ask to go in at the appointment.
hfwarner3

Postby fiona » Sat Feb 19, 2005 07:39 pm

by fiona (5767 Posts), Sat Feb 19, 2005 07:39 pm

Good. I'm sorry it's turned out this way, but there's no controlling PIH or pe and better to be safe than sorry. Please keep us updated and good luck . I'll be thinking of you both.

Fiona
dh Tom
ds Nate 12/8/97 - 14/8/97 26 weeks severe pre-e IUGR 1lb
ds Jay 4/11/98 30 weeks pre-e 3lbs 11 oz
no 3 due 15/6/05
fiona
Forum Moderator

Postby catherine » Sat Feb 19, 2005 08:22 pm

by catherine (2832 Posts), Sat Feb 19, 2005 08:22 pm

I think that you've both made a good decision there. I think that sometimes you just have to go with the flow and just try and deal with the bad stuff as best you can. I know from personal experience that preeclampsia can turn on a dime. I also know that I will never regret getting up off the couch and going to L&D at 10:30 pm on a Saturday night, even though it meant asking my neighbors to watch my son and give me a ride because my DH was out of town, it probably saved my life, even though I felt like a complete fool at the time.

Frankly, it is my deepest wish that you'll end up looking back on this experience as just hideous inconvenience and mild discomfort... subject to the evils of other people's tuna casserole.

Please let us know how you get on tomorrow. If the headaches come back, L&D really is the best place to be. At the very least they'll be able to offer your wife some pain management and make her more comfortable.

Catherine
Mom to Finn, Lucy (preeclampsia and HELLP) and Chloe.
catherine
Forum Moderator

Postby gordon k » Sat Feb 19, 2005 09:18 pm

by gordon k (113 Posts), Sat Feb 19, 2005 09:18 pm

I'm not a doctor, but if it were my wife, I'd drag her to the hospital. When my wife had symptoms, she told me: "I don't want to go to the hospital." (Both times.) My response: "Mm. That's ashame. Let's go." And we went--as much as she wanted to be home with our family, I pretty much gave her no choice.

It's my understanding that from the red flags you told us about before, they've occurred. I didn't think it was optional. I highly recommend you follow the doctor's instructions.

Gordon

Gordon (38),
DW, Norlisa (35)
essential hypertension diagnosed before pregnancy, successfully treated with atenolol, post-partum preeclampsia
Joseph/Josephine Our Angel in Heaven (9/16/02)
Twins Mary Frances and Samuel (a.k.a. Frankie and Sammy) 38 2/7 weeks, 5/26/03
gordon k

Postby lucy » Sat Feb 19, 2005 09:31 pm

by lucy (4706 Posts), Sat Feb 19, 2005 09:31 pm

Goodness sounds like things are just all over the place huh its good you are keeping a close eye on her hopely you can sneak in a little rest after things get a little more settled but def keep us updated.

Lucy -Expecting a girl due date April 30,2005 supposed to be induced at 36 wks though so end of March begginning of April

Proud mommy to Sebastian Orpheus stillborn at 26 wks due to pre-eclampsia we will always love and never forget you beautiful baby boy!

Mom to Garet 8
and Angie 6 (7 in March)
lucy

Postby laura » Sat Feb 19, 2005 09:45 pm

by laura (5139 Posts), Sat Feb 19, 2005 09:45 pm

hfwarner, I just wanted to jump in here and mention that "the" preeclampsia headache isn't always correlated with severe hypertension- the common perception is that the concern is that the BP is too high, which causes the headache, and the hypertension is the danger-- but it isn't. The concern with the preeclampsia headache is that it is intercranial swelling- brain edema- which can trigger a seizure or bleeding. If she has that kind of headache, regardless of what her BP is, she really needs to have a neurological evaluation, because there is no way of telling from home whether it is just a garden variety headache or "the" preeclampsia headache. The *only* common factor they were able to identify that most women who developed eclampsia shared was visual disturbances and headache, that's why the symptoms of central nervous system disturbance- visual disturbances, headaches, clonus- are what we here call "get thee to the hospital" situations. Please take care- I sure wish my husband had been as fabulous as you're being with your dear wife, and I wish your family the best of luck.

Laura
Webmaster/Forum Administrator
AK Area Coordinator

Alicia (severe PE) 5/98 ~ Camille (htn, oligo) 4/03
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/c/camilleandallie/
laura

Postby hfwarner3 » Sun Feb 20, 2005 09:22 am

by hfwarner3 (141 Posts), Sun Feb 20, 2005 09:22 am

She is doing better today symptom-wise. The BP is still high but right on "the line". She is getting more rest today - no visitors and no kids running around screaming like yesterday.

I am making phone calls to arrange childcare. My mother was my primary plan when it came time to take my wife to the hospital and she has come down with pneumonia. I am waiting two messages to be returned. Once I have childcare, I am covered to spend all day with her tomorrow and make sure that the right information is conveyed and the right decisions are made.
hfwarner3

Postby denise » Sun Feb 20, 2005 10:14 am

by denise (5480 Posts), Sun Feb 20, 2005 10:14 am

Glad to hear your wife is doing better, and is able to get good rest today. Please keep an eye on her and PE symptoms and call your doc asap. Continuing thoughts your way.

-------
Denise (29) Co-coordinator for WI
Jason (32)
Ariana (21 months)5/3/03-just shy of 35 weeks: Class 1 HELLP
http://hometown.aol.com/scrapperlang/Home.htm
denise

Postby mada » Sun Feb 20, 2005 10:58 am

by mada (4081 Posts), Sun Feb 20, 2005 10:58 am

My prayers are with you all. I have been following your post daily and I am truley amazed how wonderful you and your wife are dealing with this together. How many weeks is she now? TAke good care and please let us know how things progress.

Mada Harpster-moderator
Colorado co-coordinator
Sam 6-29-00 36weeks P.E.
Ben 11-03-01 No P.E.
mada

Postby hfwarner3 » Sun Feb 20, 2005 11:27 am

by hfwarner3 (141 Posts), Sun Feb 20, 2005 11:27 am

We are 28 weeks. She is continuing to do better today. It is the complete inconsistency and unpredictablility that make this so tough.
hfwarner3

PreviousNext

Return to Dads