Scaring the He** out of me

Are you worried about your partners pregnancy? Has your partner already had preeclampsia? Do you have advice for other dads who could be going through similar experiences as yourself? Post here!

Scaring the He** out of me

Postby sirhc » Thu May 19, 2005 08:26 am

OK I understand that this board is here to help, and I praise that. But I have been reading most of the post and I am now even more worried then before.

My wife and I are working on our 2nd baby girl. 1st one was born at 38 weeks because of wife developing gestational diabetes. That was the only complication with the 1st pregnancy. Now on our 2nd we seem to be having problems from the get go. After the 2nd doctors appointment she had to use these inserts until the beginning of the 2nd trimester to make sure she didn't mis-carry. Then at the beginning of the 2nd trimester she was diagnosed with gestational diabetes. We thought no problem due to the fact that we were able to control it during the first pregnancy with diet. Well she has had to use 2 different kinds of insulin to control it. Now with her being only 35 weeks she has been put on bed rest because of swelling. In a 3 day span (between doctor visits) she gained almost 6 pounds. Her blood pressure has been pretty good from the get go. But after reading more about preeclampsia, I am wondering if the doctor is not telling us something. She has had almost all of the symptoms except seizures. So now after reading many of these posts I am even more scared about the wellness of my wife and baby. But none the less I know this is a good place to visit and very helpful and supportive. But very scary at that.
sirhc

Re : Scaring the He** out of me

Postby melissam » Thu May 19, 2005 08:45 am

Sirhc,

I can certainly understand your being worried. This disease is very scary. I would make certain you are aware of the signs and symptoms and really keep an eye on them. If you notice anything call your doctor right away or head in to L & D. The nice thing is that your wife is 35 weeks. You are almost there. Their minimum goal would be one more week. Full term is considered 37 weeks, only 2 weeks to go.

When is her next appointment? Write up a list of questions for your doctor for the next appointment. Also I would take the list of signs and symptoms and document how they compare with what your wife is having so you will have something to show your doctor.

Good luck and keep us posted as to how the appointments go. Also, ask any questions you may have. Everyone here is GREAT!!!! Good luck and I hope all goes well.

Melissa
Mom to:
Riley 2/9/2000 born at 37 weeks due to PE
Kelsi 12/30/2004 - 1/1/2005 (13 oz) born at 24 weeks due to Severe PE
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/k/kelsi2005/
New photos added 4/18/05 - see Kelsi's Closet
melissam

Postby dorio22 » Thu May 19, 2005 08:48 am

First of all, it is great that your wife has been able to get to 35 weeks. That is a great place to be. My dd was born at 35 weeks and was a whoppin 6.7 lbs. I had severe PE with her. I am 30 weeks with this pg and I also have been diagnosed with Gestational Diabetes and have to take insulin shots. Just seems like a roller coaster but it will all be over soon and it will be worth it when you hold that little baby in your arms. Just be aware of the symptoms and buy a blood pressure machine and take her BP at home and that might make you feel better. If you are unsure at all you can always go to L&D. Good Luck and keep us posted.

Dori (35) - Utah
Mom to Kallie, Born 09/02 Adopted,
Brianna, born at 35 wks due to Severe PE, 6 lbs. 7 oz.
Pregnant Again, EDD 08/01/05
dorio22

Postby laura » Thu May 19, 2005 09:12 am

Hi Sirhc, does your wife have hypertension now? Best of luck...

Laura
Webmaster/Forum Administrator
AK Area Coordinator

Alicia (severe PE) 5/98 ~ Camille (htn, oligo) 4/03
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/c/camilleandallie/
laura

Postby gordon k » Fri May 20, 2005 06:25 am

Sirhc,

Welcome to the dads forum; I agree with what everyone has said here already. If it were my wife, I'd help her make sure that the baby was moving regularly (it was enjoyable for me to watch our babies move and feel my wife's belly), and help her keep a look out for the signs and symptoms of preeclampsia. Hopefully your wife has a doctor/nurse/L&D team that you both feel comfortable calling at any time should you have any concerns. For us, that was so important. As our wives' advocates, it's important that we "team up" with our spouses and medical care team to ensure success--this is too important to sit back and wait and wonder. Like I said previously, my wife or I would call her doc with any questions or concerns.

Congratulations on making it to thirty-five weeks. It is scary to have to watch your wife go through this. We wish you the best...

Gordon

Gordon(38),
DW, Norlisa (35)
essential hypertension diagnosed before pregnancy, successfully treated with atenolol, NO preeclampsia antepartum. (post-partum preeclampsia)
Joseph/Josephine Our Angel in Heaven (9/16/02)
Twins Mary Frances and Samuel (a.k.a. Frankie and Sammy) 38 2/7 weeks, 5/26/03
gordon k

Return to Dads