Locked FAQ Members Login

Should I be worried?

Do you have a burning question you just have to ask our Medical Board Experts about hypertensive pregnancies? Please email your question to expert@preeclampsia.org Keep in mind, however, that we won't be able to answer every question and our docs can't offer medical advice and won't be able to comment on specific medical cases.

Should I be worried?

Postby sevenblue » Sat Aug 23, 2003 09:09 pm

by sevenblue (1 Posts), Sat Aug 23, 2003 09:09 pm

I am just over 35 weeks pregnant. At my last doctors appointment I was told I had protein in my urine (there was no further mention of that). For the past month or so, I have been experiencing nausea, abdominal cramping, headaches, pains in my chest and lower back, sudden fatigue, sudden swelling in my hands, and visual disturbances (seeing spots and lines, shadows, and blurriness.) I have told my doctor about all of these things, and she has given me the same answer-tylenol for the headaches, iron pills for anemia, maalox for the nausea, and lots of water-the rest, according to her, is normal. The problem is that I feel there is something terribly wrong, and I don't trust her. I had a urinary tract infection-I saw her and gave her 3 urine samples on three different occasions, and it went undiagnosed for 6 weeks. I was also told (1 month ago)I had bacterial vaginosis-the symptoms of which I had been complaining of for months before it was diagnosed. For the past month, I haven't gained any weight. My last sonogram was about 3 weeks ago, it showed my baby looked normal, but was "on the small side." Because of my past experiences with her, I fear for my health, and the health of my child. This is my first pregnancy, so I'm not sure what to expect-but I didn't expect this. Should I be worried about preeclampsia, or any disorder like it?
sevenblue

Re : Should I be worried?

Postby annegarrett » Sat Aug 23, 2003 09:43 pm

by annegarrett (2525 Posts), Sat Aug 23, 2003 09:43 pm

Dear Sevenblue,

It is hard for any of us (including you) to know if the doctor is right or not--but my experience is that women should trust their guts and get a second opinion. Some urine (like say, trace) can be overlooked by doctors as maybe related to infection--the bottom line--it won't hurt to check it out and it may make a real difference. I would advise you to make an appointment for a second opinion ASAP--particularly as visual changes are not to be ignored.

Best wishes and let us know what you hear!

Anne
annegarrett

Return to Ask the Experts