exercise and creatinine clearance

Do you have a burning question you just have to ask our Medical Board Experts about hypertensive pregnancies? Please email your question to expert@preeclampsia.org Keep in mind, however, that we won't be able to answer every question and our docs can't offer medical advice and won't be able to comment on specific medical cases.

exercise and creatinine clearance

Postby laura » Wed Mar 29, 2006 02:50 am

Hello,

I am a 40 year old woman, 2nd pregnancy, with pre-existing high blood pressure currently in my 20th week. I have kept my weight gain to 10 lbs so far, drink lots of water, do not have any of the signs of pre-eclampsia (except pre-existing and my first pregnancy 14 years ago was pre-eclampsia).

Up until a week ago I was also walking 1.5 miles every day to keep the weight down plus the exercise helps control my blood pressure. I was told by my doctor to stop walking due to a 24 hour urine collection that measures the toxins eliminated by the kidneys measured at 89 instead of the average 150.

I can not find any supporting documentation that suggests that exercise has any effect on kidney performance and wonder whether it may be too early to tell me to stop walking. Seems like the benefits would outweigh the problems since I have not officially been diagnosed with pre-eclampsia as of yet. Although I expect my pregnancy could end in bed rest as did my first, I am still very healthy at this point.

What are your thoughts about exercise at this stage? Is there any exercises which I can do? Swimming, Yoga???

laura

Re : exercise and creatinine clearance

Postby expert@preeclampsia.org » Wed Mar 29, 2006 02:51 am

The result of 89 on the 24 hour urine seems to be your creatinine clearance. If this is accurate, your kidneys are not working as well as they should. At 20 weeks this would probably represent some kidney disease that was present [prior to pregnancy. If the 24 hour collection was not complete, the results would be in error. Was the serum creatinine elevated? It should be <0.8 Was there protein in your urine. This is as important as the creatinine clearance.

Swimming and yoga are very good forms of exercise in pregnancy. In the swimming pool you are not weight bearing; you cannot overheat; the water pressure will help mobilize fluid.
expert@preeclampsia.org

Return to Ask the Experts