Locked FAQ Members Login

What can I expect after birth

Do you have a burning question you just have to ask our Medical Board Experts about hypertensive pregnancies? Please email your question to expert@preeclampsia.org Keep in mind, however, that we won't be able to answer every question and our docs can't offer medical advice and won't be able to comment on specific medical cases.

What can I expect after birth

Postby cavaliercutie » Wed Mar 26, 2003 02:15 pm

I am 35 weeks pregnant and have preeclampsia. I am on bedrest and my doctor is talking about inducing at 36 weeks. I've had high blood pressure and chronic headaches. I have had awful swelling, so bad I lost feeling in my toes and fingers. I know that preeclampsia is supposed to clear up once the baby is born. What I wanted to know is what can I expect after birth? How much time is reasonable to expect all the preeclampsia problems to resolve themselves? I want more than anything to not have to take prescription pain medication everyday for these headaches and to get rid of this swelling but I want to know realistically how long I should expect it to take.
cavaliercutie

Re : What can I expect after birth

Postby expert on call » Sun Apr 13, 2003 10:23 pm

Preeclampsia often does clear up after delivery, in some cases dramatically. However, it can also worsen significantly in the 24-48 hours after birth. You can expect to most likely be placed on magnesium sulfate during labor and for 24-48 hours after delivery. In addition you may be placed on blood pressure medication for several weeks. At some point in the first few days after delivery, you will notice that your urine output increases significantly. This indicates that the disease is clearing up. The headaches and swelling may clear up after delivery with the rest of the disease.

You should be sure to monitor yourself closely for the post-partum period.

Expert on Call

Information provided on this site is provided for informational purposes only and is not meant to substitute for the advice provided by your own physician or other medical professional. You should not use the information contained herein for diagnosing or treating a health problem or disorder, or prescribing any medication. The Preeclampsia Foundation presents all data as is, without any warranty of any kind, express or implied, and is not liable for its accuracy, for mistakes or omissions of any kind, nor for any loss or damage caused by a user's reliance on information obtained on the site. Professional opinions on this condition vary greatly. The Preeclampsia Foundation endorses no one course of treatment or "cure". Responses generated by our Experts to specific questions are based on information anonymously submitted to this site via email, are not based on a complete review of any patient’s medical records and should not be construed as the only reasonable expert response to the info submitted and/or the scenario described.
expert on call

Return to Ask the Experts