Locked FAQ Members Login

can semen affect 24-hour proteinuria count?

Do you have a burning question you just have to ask our Medical Board Experts about hypertensive pregnancies? Please email your question to expert@preeclampsia.org Keep in mind, however, that we won't be able to answer every question and our docs can't offer medical advice and won't be able to comment on specific medical cases.

can semen affect 24-hour proteinuria count?

Postby expert@preeclampsia.org » Thu Jun 29, 2006 07:57 pm

by expert@preeclampsia.org (322 Posts), Thu Jun 29, 2006 07:57 pm

Hello, I was recently diagnosed with preeclampsia and put on bedrest. I feel fine but am pretty puffy and have some elevated BP's. I have never had even a trace of protein in my urine on my dips in the doctor's office but did a 24 hour and showed a significant amount. I was curious if seminal fluid that may have gotten in to my 24 hour urine could increase the proteinuria. I was really careful while obtaining all of the specimens for the urine but I just feel really good to be diagnosed with this.
expert@preeclampsia.org

Re : can semen affect 24-hour proteinuria count?

Postby expert@preeclampsia.org » Thu Jun 29, 2006 07:58 pm

by expert@preeclampsia.org (322 Posts), Thu Jun 29, 2006 07:58 pm

A urine collection over 12 to 24 hours, if it shows a significant amount of protein, is far superior to the dipstick in the office--it is just a screen, it is step one, and the urine collection is step two. Seminal fluid should not be blamed for the proteinuria. Sounds like you have preeclampsia rather than post-coital issues.
expert@preeclampsia.org

Re : can semen affect 24-hour proteinuria count?

Postby expert@preeclampsia.org » Thu Jun 29, 2006 09:47 pm

by expert@preeclampsia.org (322 Posts), Thu Jun 29, 2006 09:47 pm

No, seminal fluid will not increase a 24 hour urine protein. You can have a negative urine dip for protein (which measures concentration) and a positive 24 hour urine if you drink a lot of water and have a very dilute urine. The 24 hour urine will be more accurate.

Your doctor seems to be taking these results seriously which is appropriate.
expert@preeclampsia.org

Return to Ask the Experts