chronic hypertension and PE risk

Do you have a burning question you just have to ask our Medical Board Experts about hypertensive pregnancies? Please email your question to expert@preeclampsia.org Keep in mind, however, that we won't be able to answer every question and our docs can't offer medical advice and won't be able to comment on specific medical cases.

chronic hypertension and PE risk

Postby expert@preeclampsia.org » Thu Jun 29, 2006 09:48 pm

I am 33 years old and I have a history of high blood pressure...for the last 15 years I always measured 138/80 to 145/85....we have done numerous blood tests, protein in urine tests, and blood work for kidneys and liver right up until 2 years ago and always had excellent readings...meaning no concern everything was normal.

I am now 21 weeks pregnant and had my level 2 full detailed scan ultrasound and baby is doing great, measurements, placenta, fluid weight and height all good with baby. No markings for Downs or any other abnormalities - but I did decline the triple screen test at 17 weeks. I was normal weight but did gain 15 lbs so far...mostly within the first 12 weeks and have leveled off.

With my history, what are the chances of developing pre-eclampsia? I feel great so far at this stage, no nausea at all, no swelling, small tummy (but measurements are perfect for where I should be), few minor headaches but that's the extent of it. Pretty much text book pregnancy except for that b/p reading.

Can ONLY blood pressure meds control this if it does develop higher? My home blood pressure monitors read 138/82 and close to my doctor's readings too...I've never in my life since we began to measure ever read 120/80 so I'm wondering if the body is immune somewhat to this higher blood pressure?

expert@preeclampsia.org

Re : chronic hypertension and PE risk

Postby expert@preeclampsia.org » Thu Jun 29, 2006 09:49 pm

Your blood pressures are higher than average for a young woman when you are not pregnant. 145/85 is hypertensive. It is normal for your BP to be lower in mid-pregnancy and does not necessarily mean you will not get preeclampsia.

Measurement of protein in a 24 hour urine is one of the better tests that is easy to perform to predict preeclampsia. It is also important to know that the baby is growing normally. An US at 28 weeks can confirm that.

Treatment of BP in pregnancy is controversial. Some centers would be treating BP as high as yours. Others would not treat until >160/105. I would not expect your body to be immune to higher BP's.
expert@preeclampsia.org

Return to Ask the Experts