blood type and PE

Do you have a burning question you just have to ask our Medical Board Experts about hypertensive pregnancies? Please email your question to expert@preeclampsia.org Keep in mind, however, that we won't be able to answer every question and our docs can't offer medical advice and won't be able to comment on specific medical cases.

blood type and PE

Postby expert@preeclampsia.org » Mon Aug 14, 2006 08:36 am

My daughter developed pre-eclampsia with her first pregnancy at 2 days prior to delivery on her normal due date. Now that she is pregnant with her second child I am concerned that it may happen again.

I have wondered ever since my daughter's first pregnancy, if there is any correlation between this happening to her and her father and I having opposite blood types. I am B negative and her father A positive. I received the Rhogam injection immediately after her birth and breastfed her for 4 months.

I do not know if in any of the research case studies family history questions have include that type of information.
expert@preeclampsia.org

Re : blood type and PE

Postby expert@preeclampsia.org » Mon Aug 14, 2006 08:37 am

I know of no credible body of data which lends credence to Rh factor, either negative or positive, as important to the pathogenesis of preeclampsia or risk of disease development. At the recent ISSHP meeting in Lisbon, a group from The Netherlands presented data which found no association between major blood groups (ABO genotype) and risk of developing either early onset preeclampsia or HELLP syndrome (Bruinse's group).
expert@preeclampsia.org

Return to Ask the Experts