Locked FAQ Members Login

placental abruption, cord abnormalities?

Do you have a burning question you just have to ask our Medical Board Experts about hypertensive pregnancies? Please email your question to expert@preeclampsia.org Keep in mind, however, that we won't be able to answer every question and our docs can't offer medical advice and won't be able to comment on specific medical cases.

placental abruption, cord abnormalities?

Postby expert@preeclampsia.org » Mon Aug 14, 2006 09:17 am

I was wondering if there were any statistics regarding links to umbilical problems and preeclampsia?

My son was stillborn August 20, 2005. I called my doctor one night because I hadn’t felt the baby moving, and we discovered he had died. During the time that the doctor tried to induce labor, my blood pressure quickly went up and I was diagnosed with preeclampsia, and eventually HELLP Syndrome. After my son was delivered, there was a true knot discovered in the umbilical cord. An autopsy of the placenta also revealed numerous blood clots and evidence of an abruption (the most likely cause of my son’s death).

I was just wondering what was known about a possible link between these three things (knot in the cord, preeclampsia/HELLP Syndrome, placental abruption), if anything. I have never read anything about umbilical cord problems being linked to preeclampsia or abruptions, but I can’t help but wonder if that could have been a trigger...

expert@preeclampsia.org

Re : placental abruption, cord abnormalities?

Postby expert@preeclampsia.org » Mon Aug 14, 2006 09:17 am

Yes, there is a strong association between placental abruption and preeclampsia. I do not know of any association between preeclampsia and a true knot in the umbilical cord. It may be difficult to tell which of these two was the cause of the baby's death.
expert@preeclampsia.org

Return to Ask the Experts