Locked FAQ Members Login

exercise after diagnosis?

Do you have a burning question you just have to ask our Medical Board Experts about hypertensive pregnancies? Please email your question to expert@preeclampsia.org Keep in mind, however, that we won't be able to answer every question and our docs can't offer medical advice and won't be able to comment on specific medical cases.

exercise after diagnosis?

Postby expert@preeclampsia.org » Mon Aug 14, 2006 02:44 pm

by expert@preeclampsia.org (322 Posts), Mon Aug 14, 2006 02:44 pm

Hello, I am currently 30 wks pregnant with mild Pre-e. I have had high protien levels of 426 and my BP has been around 120/75. I want to know if it is ok to take walks and do other exercises? My doc said to "take it easy" does this mean I should not exercise? What kind of risk would I be at if I did exercise? Thanks
expert@preeclampsia.org

Re : exercise after diagnosis?

Postby expert@preeclampsia.org » Mon Aug 14, 2006 02:44 pm

by expert@preeclampsia.org (322 Posts), Mon Aug 14, 2006 02:44 pm

I would not recommend exercise at this time. Preeclampsia at 30 weeks has a significant risk to progress to severe preeclampsia by term. When I ask my patients to "take it easy," I ask them to lay down, without getting up, for about 3 hours a day. Otherwise, I ask them to limit their excursions out of the house, eg. only use the express lanes at the grocery store.

Any women with preeclampsia is at risk for a placental abruption. Fetal surveillance, (fetal movement counting, ultrasounds for growth, and nonstress tests) are important.
expert@preeclampsia.org

Return to Ask the Experts