Locked FAQ Members Login

high blood pressure

Do you have a burning question you just have to ask our Medical Board Experts about hypertensive pregnancies? Please email your question to expert@preeclampsia.org Keep in mind, however, that we won't be able to answer every question and our docs can't offer medical advice and won't be able to comment on specific medical cases.

high blood pressure

Postby manda » Tue Jan 13, 2004 02:33 pm

by manda (1 Posts), Tue Jan 13, 2004 02:33 pm

I recently gave birth a week ago. I went through 16 hours of labor and then had to have a C-Section. I had normal blood pressure throughout by pregnancy. After giving birth, my pressure was constantly high and was kept in the hospital for 5 days. They released me saying it was normal and should go away on its own. I had a preeclampsia urine test and it came back negative.

I went to the family doctor yesterday. She took my pressure and it was 170/110. She prescribed for me blood pressure medication. I am still having headaches and wondered how long it will take for this to go away. My swelling in my feet has finally gone away today. What causes this after pregnancy? Is there anything I can do to help keep the pressure down? It is very frustrating taking care of a newborn and worrying about my blood pressure.
Thank you!
manda

Re : high blood pressure

Postby expert on call » Mon Jan 19, 2004 10:21 pm

by expert on call (297 Posts), Mon Jan 19, 2004 10:21 pm

Preeclampsia or hypertension in pregnancy are "cured" by delivery, but they usually get worse before they get better. As you mobilize the swelling in your feet and the rest of your body, this increased fluid in your blood stream will increase your blood pressure. As you get rid of the fluid, your blood pressure will get better. Sometimes a diuretic will hasten the process. A diuretic is safe to use post partum. It is important to reduce your blood pressure into a more normal range. This sometimes requires a combination of medications. Some that your doctor might use include: atenolol (slows your heart rate), furosemide, (gets rid of fluid), nifedipine (opens up constricted blood vessels). Some women will need to be re-admitted to the hospital.

You could be developing chronic hypertension. Many people inherit the tendency for chronic hypertension. Sometimes we see it for the first time during a pregnancy. You might need to be on medication longer than for a few weeks.

In a future pregnancy, you will be at risk to develop hypertension or preeclampsia. It is important to control your blood pressure before you get pregnant (if it does not resolve on its own). You should be followed as "at risk" for preeclampsia. Sometimes women are told that preeclampsia is just a disease of the first pregnancy. This is NOT true. The risk is usually not so high that a woman will choose not to have another child if she wants one. You should just be followed closely in another pregnancy.

Information provided on this site is provided for informational purposes only and is not meant to substitute for the advice provided by your own physician or other medical professional. You should not use the information contained herein for diagnosing or treating a health problem or disorder, or prescribing any medication. The Preeclampsia Foundation presents all data as is, without any warranty of any kind, express or implied, and is not liable for its accuracy, for mistakes or omissions of any kind, nor for any loss or damage caused by a user's reliance on information obtained on the site. Professional opinions on this condition vary greatly. The Preeclampsia Foundation endorses no one course of treatment or "cure". Responses generated by our Experts to specific questions are based on information anonymously submitted to this site via email, are not based on a complete review of any patient’s medical records and should not be construed as the only reasonable expert response to the info submitted and/or the scenario described.
expert on call

Return to Ask the Experts