should a chronic hypertensive stop her meds?

Do you have a burning question you just have to ask our Medical Board Experts about hypertensive pregnancies? Please email your question to expert@preeclampsia.org Keep in mind, however, that we won't be able to answer every question and our docs can't offer medical advice and won't be able to comment on specific medical cases.

should a chronic hypertensive stop her meds?

Postby expert@preeclampsia.org » Tue Sep 26, 2006 07:07 pm

I am 7 weeks pregnant so I had stopped taking my blood pressure meds about 4 weeks ago. I changed primary care physicians after my phone calls were not answered. The new primary doctor said my hugh blood pressure is because I have preeclampsia. I did mention again that I have not had ANY medication for 4 weeks and that I had been taking Verapamil before finding out I was pregnant.

I have an appointment to see the OB next week but my new primary care really scared me even indicated that I should end the pregnancy. He prescribed Methyldopa.

Is hid diagnosis correct?

I know the print out he gave me says diagnosed around 20 weeks and had this website listed.

what happend if you had high blood pressure before you were pregnant? I am confused and scared.

what can you tell me about high blood pressure patients and pregnancy.
expert@preeclampsia.org

Re : should a chronic hypertensive stop her meds?

Postby expert@preeclampsia.org » Tue Sep 26, 2006 07:10 pm

Verapamil is safe in pregnancy and for the breast feeding mother, having not been shown to cause birth defects above background risk nor newborn problems while breastfeeding.

In general a mother with chronic hypertension on medication is well advised to be evaluated by her obstetrician as early as possible during pregnancy, so that she can be evaluated medically (collect a 24 hour urine to determine the presence and amount of proteinuria, for instance) and a determination made to continue or change medications.

ACE inhibitors are usually stopped because of fetal risks; calcium antagonists like Verapamil can be continued. If a diuretic is needed to help an antihypertensive drug work best in a mother with fairly longstanding and significant hypertension, it can be continued--furosemide is usually preferable to hydrochlorthiazide--and the lowest effective and required dose is usually used. In many practices, the use of Aldomet has just about disappeared since it is a very weak agent (that's why it almost never is used in a nonpregnant female or a male patient). Calcium antagonists have been more frequently utilized in my pregnant patient population since once a day dosing is possible and they are more efficacious than Aldomet.

If antihypertensive therapy is stopped altogether in early pregnancy because blood pressures are "normal", this can change at a later time and should be revisited at each prenatal encounter.
expert@preeclampsia.org

Return to Ask the Experts