Locked FAQ Members Login

PreE occurance rates and new partners

Do you have a burning question you just have to ask our Medical Board Experts about hypertensive pregnancies? Please email your question to expert@preeclampsia.org Keep in mind, however, that we won't be able to answer every question and our docs can't offer medical advice and won't be able to comment on specific medical cases.

PreE occurance rates and new partners

Postby expert@preeclampsia.org » Wed Nov 29, 2006 03:55 pm

by expert@preeclampsia.org (322 Posts), Wed Nov 29, 2006 03:55 pm

I have two daughters and suffered PreE with my first at 26 weeks, delivered at 28. No occurance with my second only lots of fluid retention, elected to section at 38 weeks due to previous classical section scar. I now have a new partner and have been told by some that i carry the same risk of PreE as i did with my first baby. My mother lost her first baby through PreE so we knew there was some chance then. Is there any recent research on reoccurance rates for women with new partners and what exactly is the current mode of thought on the topic??

expert@preeclampsia.org

Re : PreE occurance rates and new partners

Postby expert@preeclampsia.org » Wed Nov 29, 2006 03:55 pm

by expert@preeclampsia.org (322 Posts), Wed Nov 29, 2006 03:55 pm

There is a fair amount of information. Early research suggested that there was an increased risk with a new partner. However, more recent studies indicate that the risk previously assumed to be due to a new partner is actually due to a woman getting older. In general the interval between pregnancies with a new partner is longer than that interval with the same partner. The observed increased risk is accounted for by aging.
expert@preeclampsia.org

Return to Ask the Experts