long-term effects from HELLP syndrome?

Do you have a burning question you just have to ask our Medical Board Experts about hypertensive pregnancies? Please email your question to expert@preeclampsia.org Keep in mind, however, that we won't be able to answer every question and our docs can't offer medical advice and won't be able to comment on specific medical cases.

long-term effects from HELLP syndrome?

Postby expert@preeclampsia.org » Wed Apr 25, 2007 06:26 pm

Hello I'm 41 I had been pregnant at 37 I delivered a baby girl at 36 weeks. I had severe hellp syndrom post partum I stayed 12 days at the hospital. After several weeks everything got back to normal. But since I had this hellp syndrom I am very often exausted I need to sleep and rest more than before. Could you tell me if other women who suffered from hellp experience the same symptoms? Thank you for answering. I am french and here it's very difficult to get infos about this disease.
expert@preeclampsia.org

Re : long-term effects from HELLP syndrome?

Postby expert@preeclampsia.org » Wed Apr 25, 2007 06:27 pm

I had HELLP preeclampsia at 27 weeks gestation. I had an emergency C-section. My son is now 16 months old, and doing excellent by the way, but I am not. Before I was diagnosed with HELLP my BP was 117/72 normally. My cholesterol was under 200. Since having HELLP I must take Toporol and HCTZ for my blood pressure, which now is 120/80. I am also on Crestor and Zetia for my cholesterol, which is now 268, down from a high of 386.

Could you please let me know if other women have had problems with BP and cholesterol after HELLP, and also if this could be related to liver problems. Also let me know of anything else that might be a problem that I don't know about. My doctors don't seem to have much HELLP knowledge.

I am also thinking about trying to get pregnant again, but I would like to know what's going on with my body before I take that step. Thank you.
expert@preeclampsia.org

Postby expert@preeclampsia.org » Wed Apr 25, 2007 06:28 pm

I was wondering if any of you know of the correlation between vitamin b12 deficiency and hellp syndrome? I have seen studies on the internet, but am not sure if they are relevant. I had hellp syndrome and was diagnosed with pernicious anemia a year later and was wondering if they could be connected in any way?
expert@preeclampsia.org

Postby expert@preeclampsia.org » Wed Apr 25, 2007 06:29 pm

To the best of my knowledge, there are no lasting effects of HELLP syndrome per se after pregnancy, delivery and the weeks following. The pathophysiology of the disease involves an abnormal interaction between the placenta/pregnancy and the mother's systems which melts away after the pregnancy is over. If a patient has underlying medical issues or conditions, they very likely are not adversely affected beyond 3-6 months postpartum at the most unless there is significant organ damage such as stroke, liver rupture or renal failure.
expert@preeclampsia.org

Return to Ask the Experts