Toxemia Symptoms in Menopause

Do you have a burning question you just have to ask our Medical Board Experts about hypertensive pregnancies? Please email your question to expert@preeclampsia.org Keep in mind, however, that we won't be able to answer every question and our docs can't offer medical advice and won't be able to comment on specific medical cases.

Toxemia Symptoms in Menopause

Postby expert@preeclampsia.org » Fri Jun 08, 2007 03:17 pm

Hello,

I have been trying, with no success, to find some information on studies of women and their babies years after having toxemia. I realize that toxemia and preeclampsia are only present during the pregancy, but I've been told by my family doctor and my ob/gyn that the symptoms of these diseases can be genetic markers for future blood preasure, edema and kidney problems.

I am now 51 and have been dealing with pre-menopause for six or seven years. The only time in my life that I had high blood pressure was when I had toxemia 32 years ago. I am now on the strongest dose of Diovan on the market, along with a beta blocker, thyroid pills, and two different fluid medications! Every one of these symptoms appeared during pre-menopause and are evidently in some way related to the fact that I had toxemia. My son (the baby from that pregancy) also has a list of similar health issues, that just developed in his adult life.

Any guidence on this genetic marker theory, as well as any links to studies of the long-term effects would be appreciated.
expert@preeclampsia.org

Re : Toxemia Symptoms in Menopause

Postby expert@preeclampsia.org » Fri Jun 08, 2007 03:19 pm

Please see: http://www.preeclampsia.org/PositionStmt_lateEffects_Oct06.pdf

Women genetically destined to have elements of metabolic and cardiovascular disease have a higher incidence of preeclampsia and thus segrate in higher numbers into the general preeclampsia population. Said otherwise, these diseases would have manifested anyway, and preeclampsia is but a risk marker. There is some small evidence suggesting preeclampsia may hasten its presentation, or even contribute, but evidence is very weak.
expert@preeclampsia.org

Return to Ask the Experts