Prevention

Do you have a burning question you just have to ask our Medical Board Experts about hypertensive pregnancies? Please email your question to expert@preeclampsia.org Keep in mind, however, that we won't be able to answer every question and our docs can't offer medical advice and won't be able to comment on specific medical cases.

Prevention

Postby amillhouse » Wed Feb 25, 2004 05:16 am

I was diagnosed with pre-eclampsia at 24 weeks, stayed in the hospital for 4.5 weeks, my son was born at 28 weeks and one day. He was 1.3 poinds and lived for one month, having died a week ago. Please help! I feel like I need all the information I can get NOW. I live in South Africa though I am an American. I had never heard of pre-e though doctors were familiar and seemed to know what to do. Because I was in hospital I had no way of accessing more information until now. I have read about low dose aspirins and calcium supplments. What can I do, who can I turn to? I want to get pregnant again. I have heard that I have to wait a year, some say three months. What is the truth? What can I do to help prevent this from happening again? Please help me!

Anika
mommy to Isaiah Dumisani born 28 weeks gestation (1/20/04)
angel - 2/17/04
amillhouse

Re : Prevention

Postby expert on call » Fri Apr 02, 2004 09:54 am

South Africa has a number of units actively engaged in preeclampsia research, and a number of physicians who have devoted their careers to this disease. It depends where this individual lives. In Durban a Professor Jack Moodley is currently vice president of the International Society for the Study of Hypertension in Pregnancy, and in Cape Town, a Professor Anthony has also published on the disease. Another name is a Dr Hofmeyer, who works with WHO on their current calcium trial. I am sure they can be located, and help or refer this patients to others.

Finally, concerning low dose aspirin, its ability to prevent preeclampsia is small even in high risk patients, while calcium supplementation is yet to be shown effective (the large WHO study should conclude this summer). Aspirin, of course is a drug that has, while limited, the potentiality for side effects. An adequate calcium intake is harmless and good for pregnancy, and concerns that high intake could exacerbate stone disease (especially in hot climates), do not seem to have been born out. Also, the large antioxidant trials are now in their infancy.

In summary, the patient might contact the MDs mentioned or the ones they suggest, and ask them where the best high risk groups are, and assure that they have modern tertiary care centers with facilities to handle very early births (not always available throughout the country), and plan her next pregnancy around that advice.

Information provided on this site is provided for informational purposes only and is not meant to substitute for the advice provided by your own physician or other medical professional. You should not use the information contained herein for diagnosing or treating a health problem or disorder, or prescribing any medication. The Preeclampsia Foundation presents all data as is, without any warranty of any kind, express or implied, and is not liable for its accuracy, for mistakes or omissions of any kind, nor for any loss or damage caused by a user's reliance on information obtained on the site. Professional opinions on this condition vary greatly. The Preeclampsia Foundation endorses no one course of treatment or "cure". Responses generated by our Experts to specific questions are based on information anonymously submitted to this site via email, are not based on a complete review of any patient’s medical records and should not be construed as the only reasonable expert response to the info submitted and/or the scenario described.
expert on call

Return to Ask the Experts