Locked FAQ Members Login

preeclampsia or what is wrong with me?

Do you have a burning question you just have to ask our Medical Board Experts about hypertensive pregnancies? Please email your question to expert@preeclampsia.org Keep in mind, however, that we won't be able to answer every question and our docs can't offer medical advice and won't be able to comment on specific medical cases.

preeclampsia or what is wrong with me?

Postby expert@preeclampsia.org » Mon Aug 27, 2007 05:49 pm

by expert@preeclampsia.org (322 Posts), Mon Aug 27, 2007 05:49 pm

I am now 36 weeks.

My blood pressure has been in the high side for quite some time during this pregnancy (generally somewhere around 145/80, sometimes 135/90). I have had no protein in my urine. My feet and ankles have been pretty swollen, but my fingers and face are normal. My doctor sent me to the lab to get blood work done, and everything was normal.

SO, this week, I go to the doctor and my blood pressure reading was 150/100. I have been a fairly slow weight gainer (probably because my weight was already up when I got pregnant), and suddenly I am gaining 3-4 lbs weekly for the last couple of weeks. Again, no protein in the urine sample I gave them. My doctor sent me to the hospital where they hooked me up to the fetal monitor, and took my blood pressure again a few more times. First time, the reading was 128/80, second reading was 154/80. The nurses who were watching the baby on the monitor said she looked good. They took more blood and that came back fine. They sent me home to do a 24 hour urine collection (which I returned to the lab yesterday, have not heard the results) and my doctor put me on modified bed rest (gee, thanks).

So, to me--I am thinking I do not have preeclampsia because the only indicator so far has really been high blood pressure readings, my blood and urine are fine.

So...WTF is wrong with me? Any thoughts? My husband is freaking out, my in-laws are freaking out, and I just want to get out of bed and get some cleaning done...:P
expert@preeclampsia.org

Re : preeclampsia or what is wrong with me?

Postby expert@preeclampsia.org » Mon Aug 27, 2007 05:50 pm

by expert@preeclampsia.org (322 Posts), Mon Aug 27, 2007 05:50 pm

You are probably in the process of developing preeclampsia. You doctor seems to be watching very closely. While you seem safe right now - the disease can evolve very quickly. Continue to see your doctor frequently. Report head aches, nausea, vomiting. Make certain that the baby is moving every day. If you do not "feel right" see the doctor or go to L&D.

I would anticipate that your BP will worsen, and you may develop protein in your urine. At some point, your doctor may recommend that you be induced. While you seem to be OK now, your condition could certainly evolve quickly. I would take your condition and your doctors recommendations seriously.
expert@preeclampsia.org

Return to Ask the Experts