Locked FAQ Members Login

trip to OB/GYN tomorrow ?????

Do you have a burning question you just have to ask our Medical Board Experts about hypertensive pregnancies? Please email your question to expert@preeclampsia.org Keep in mind, however, that we won't be able to answer every question and our docs can't offer medical advice and won't be able to comment on specific medical cases.

trip to OB/GYN tomorrow ?????

Postby sam » Mon Mar 08, 2004 01:56 pm

can anyone help me with this

i am going to see my OB tomorrow afternoon, i have not seen him since nov 4th 2003 just 3 weeks after my horrendous experience of severe PE/ class 1 HELLP. As you can imagine i have alot of questions to ask esp. about checking for any under-lying auto immune problems, and what will be done differently in respect to my care if i ever consider another pregnancy?

have i missed anything else that anyone can think of?
i just want to be totally prepared for this visit

Also i am still experiencing a few problems health wise that includes eyes probs (spots and flashing), chest pains (v.sporadically tho),
pelvic pain (had emergency U/S in Jan but showed nothing, i have PCOS, and had my left ovary and a 2lb cyst removed when i was 16 wks),headaches, fatigue and this crippling pain and numbness in my hands (i wear a metal wrist support at night to keep my wrist straight, he said it was carpel tunnel, but it is getting worse than it was whilst pregnant!!)I have had no follow ups not even for my BP!!! (which did return to normal 2 wks PP) and have lost trust and faith in my GP ( in process of changing GP)since my PE/HELLP experience.
It has been been five months now since the PE/HELLP struck has anyone else had these symptoms PP?
any new questions to ask my OB/GYN or info on these symptoms would be greatly appreciated!!!!
LOL

sam
London,UK
severe PE/class 1 HELLP @ 27wks
13th oct 2003
mummy to angel jake
http://www.shattered-dreams.uk.com/jakehayman.htm
sam

Re : trip to OB/GYN tomorrow ?????

Postby expert on call » Thu May 13, 2004 11:19 am

You have a number of symptoms that may require further evaluation, and you need to discuss these symptoms in detail with your physician.

With respect to HELLP at 27 weeks, you have a preeclampsia recurrence risk of over 50%. Fortunately, the HELLP recurrence risk is much lower (3%-12%), but still not insignificant.

Whether a full evaluation for thrombophilias is warranted or not is a matter of continuing debate. Discuss this with your OB.

As for treatment for the next pregnancy - also a matter of great debate as to whether or not any of the intervention strategies ( heparin, aspirin, calcium, folic acid, vitamin C, vitamin E, fish oil) are truly effective. Again, discuss these issues in detail with your OB.

Good luck.

Information provided on this site is provided for informational purposes only and is not meant to substitute for the advice provided by your own physician or other medical professional. You should not use the information contained herein for diagnosing or treating a health problem or disorder, or prescribing any medication. The Preeclampsia Foundation presents all data as is, without any warranty of any kind, express or implied, and is not liable for its accuracy, for mistakes or omissions of any kind, nor for any loss or damage caused by a user's reliance on information obtained on the site. Professional opinions on this condition vary greatly. The Preeclampsia Foundation endorses no one course of treatment or "cure". Responses generated by our Experts to specific questions are based on information anonymously submitted to this site via email, are not based on a complete review of any patient’s medical records and should not be construed as the only reasonable expert response to the info submitted and/or the scenario described.
expert on call

Return to Ask the Experts