cardiomyopathy

Do you have a burning question you just have to ask our Medical Board Experts about hypertensive pregnancies? Please email your question to expert@preeclampsia.org Keep in mind, however, that we won't be able to answer every question and our docs can't offer medical advice and won't be able to comment on specific medical cases.

cardiomyopathy

Postby expert@preeclampsia.org » Thu Oct 04, 2007 09:37 am

i was 22 when i gave birth. i was diagnosed 4 days after delivery. after treatment for eclampsia i had a heart attack. now i have cardiomyopathy. what causes this to happen and what could have been some indicators along the way.
expert@preeclampsia.org

Re : cardiomyopathy

Postby expert@preeclampsia.org » Thu Oct 04, 2007 09:39 am

There is little information here, so this patient should discuss her particular case with the physician who treated her. My remarks are generic.

Cardiomyopathy of pregnancy is a failure (usually temporary) of the heart muscle to function normally that could be genetic, viral or something else that usually responds to medication; it does have a chance of recurring in a subsequent pregnancy. It has no known relationship for cause to eclampsia that I know of. Most of the cases I have treated present rather suddenly without much advance notice and respond to treatment--obviously this patient did. In a future pregnancy--if she chooses to risk it--her docs likely will monitor her progress with frequent assessments of cardiac ejection fractions (done by echo) and treat accordingly.
expert@preeclampsia.org

Return to Ask the Experts