Do I or do I not have it?

Do you have a burning question you just have to ask our Medical Board Experts about hypertensive pregnancies? Please email your question to expert@preeclampsia.org Keep in mind, however, that we won't be able to answer every question and our docs can't offer medical advice and won't be able to comment on specific medical cases.

Do I or do I not have it?

Postby irconfused » Tue Apr 22, 2003 12:40 am

I am highly confused. I have three different doctors telling me 3 different things. One is telling me I do have preeclampsia, one tells me I have mild preeclampsia and one tells me I don't have it at all. Heres the situation, sorry if this runs a little long. I am 34 weeks and 3 days pregnant atm. Last monday (4/14) I was feeling sick and dizzy all day with nasty headaches and some slight cramping in my abdomen. I called the clinic I have been going to and they said they would get back to me, well 2 hours later I call back and no one is there and I am directed to call the hospital. I call the hospital and they pull me in for monitoring. First they take my blood pressure which has been running around 110/60 and it was up to 138/65. They decided to put me on a monitor and I was having contractions but I wasn't dilated. They ran some fluids into me via IV and the contractions were still coming. They then decided to give me some drug that stops contractions, can't remember the name, think it started with a "T". Six hours later the contractions were under control and the doctor was asking me about the elevated level of protein in my urine. Before he let me go home he asked me to take 24 hour urine screening and bring it in to the lab so he could have a look at it. Two days later I get a call from him and he says that I do have high levels of protein and that I have preeclampsia or the beginning stages of it and he wanted me on bedrest. Last friday he sent me in for a ultrasound and everything looked good and that dr said I have mild preeclampsia. When they ran my bp then it was down to 113/60. Now today I had an appointment at the clinic for high risk pregnancy. My bp was at 130/65 and the doctor there told me that I don't have it and I don't need to be on bed rest. He said the cut off point for preeclampsia was 140 over something and that I wasn't there yet. The doctor at the hospital mentioned that too but he said that since my bp was low to begin with that a bp of 130 was high for me. I am totally confused now and I am trying to reach the original doctor that told me I had it to see what he says about all these mixed signals but I thought it would be nice also to get the opinion of other experts while I was at it.
irconfused
Registered User
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2003 12:19 pm

Re : Do I or do I not have it?

Postby expert on call » Tue Apr 22, 2003 06:36 pm

It sounds as if they are following you very closely which is a good thing. While you do not yet meet the technical definition of preeclampsia, you may well be "on the way." A significant amount of proteinuria is concerning.

You could easily become hypertensive over the next week or ten days. It does not matter if we label you as "preeclamptic." No matter what you are called, you should be followed closely for the development of hypertension and to ensure that the baby is doing well.

Expert on Call

Information provided on this site is provided for informational purposes only and is not meant to substitute for the advice provided by your own physician or other medical professional. You should not use the information contained herein for diagnosing or treating a health problem or disorder, or prescribing any medication. The Preeclampsia Foundation presents all data as is, without any warranty of any kind, express or implied, and is not liable for its accuracy, for mistakes or omissions of any kind, nor for any loss or damage caused by a user's reliance on information obtained on the site. Professional opinions on this condition vary greatly. The Preeclampsia Foundation endorses no one course of treatment or "cure". Responses generated by our Experts to specific questions are based on information anonymously submitted to this site via email, are not based on a complete review of any patient’s medical records and should not be construed as the only reasonable expert response to the info submitted and/or the scenario described.
expert on call
Registered User
 
Posts: 297
Joined: Sat Feb 15, 2003 09:30 am

Re : Do I or do I not have it?

Postby irconfused » Wed Apr 23, 2003 09:17 am

Thank you for your advice. I think they plan on continuing the Nonstress tests and I am still scheduled for another ultrasound in a week. I called the clinic and they said I am to remain on moderated bedrest now instead of the complete bedrest they had me on at first. I'm just kinda scared that I will have a repeat of last monday, they said if that happened again after this week they were going to let me go on to deliver. I'm a first timer though, I guess thats normal. [:I]
Thank you again,
Jenn
irconfused
Registered User
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2003 12:19 pm


Return to Ask the Experts

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

cron