doing some research

Do you have a burning question you just have to ask our Medical Board Experts about hypertensive pregnancies? Please email your question to expert@preeclampsia.org Keep in mind, however, that we won't be able to answer every question and our docs can't offer medical advice and won't be able to comment on specific medical cases.

doing some research

Postby expert@preeclampsia.org » Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:36 pm

Hello, This is probably an odd question for you. I am researching preeclampsia for a novel I am writing. One of the characters is pregnant. I want to find out what is the earliest known occurrence during pregnancy of preeclampsia? Is it possible that someone in their early 2nd trimester who is not receiving prenatal care could have preeclampsia and die from complications that early on? What is the rate of maternal deaths from preeclampsia?

Thanks for any help you can offer.
expert@preeclampsia.org

Re : doing some research

Postby expert@preeclampsia.org » Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:38 pm

The answer is yes there can be preeclampsia and its progression to severe complications before 20 weeks. Some of these cases are associated with hytadiform disease (mole), and Trisomy 13, both of which result in raised levels of angiogenic factors. However it is also observed in women without these rare syndromes but often those destined to chronic hypertension later in life. As said it is quite unusual, but Baha Sibai described a group of these patients years ago. There is also a JAMA case report.( Lindheimer MD, Spargo BH, Katz AI: Eclampsia during the 16th gestational week. JAMA 230:1006-8, 1974).

Editor's note: there is also a recent discussion of maternal deaths here: http://www.preeclampsia.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21361
expert@preeclampsia.org

Return to Ask the Experts