Locked FAQ Members Login

link with postpartum rubella vaccine?

Do you have a burning question you just have to ask our Medical Board Experts about hypertensive pregnancies? Please email your question to expert@preeclampsia.org Keep in mind, however, that we won't be able to answer every question and our docs can't offer medical advice and won't be able to comment on specific medical cases.

link with postpartum rubella vaccine?

Postby expert@preeclampsia.org » Fri Feb 22, 2008 02:35 pm

by expert@preeclampsia.org (322 Posts), Fri Feb 22, 2008 02:35 pm

I was suffering from severe preeclampsia and delivered at 34 weeks last year. It is now standard practice to receive a Rubella booster before you leave the hospital. I wanted to share the link with everyone on the drug manufacturer’s warnings and precautions.
Forgive me if I am wrong, but when one is suffering from severe preeclampsia with toxins raging through your body, isn’t that considered a compromised immune system due to your white cells fighting foreign matter? Also, how did my doctor know beforehand that I would not develop HELLP and need a possible blood transfusion? Furthermore, my doctor never even asked me if I planned on breastfeeding?

This vaccine, in my opinion, could very well be the reason why I relapsed and almost died. Maybe it is just a coincidence that I was feeling wonderful prior to the vaccine and within 2 hours after the vaccine I began to feel funny. I subsequently “crashed” within 12 hours and my blood pressure skyrocketed to 182/128. Please read pgs 3-5 because my doctor obviously didn’t. To this day my doctor blames my relapse on hormonal changes by my milk coming in.
expert@preeclampsia.org

Re : link with postpartum rubella vaccine?

Postby expert@preeclampsia.org » Fri Feb 22, 2008 02:35 pm

by expert@preeclampsia.org (322 Posts), Fri Feb 22, 2008 02:35 pm

It is unlikely that the "relapse" was due to either the vaccine or your milk coming in. The most dangerous time for a woman with preeclampsia is postpartum. Of women who die, 80% die postpartum.
expert@preeclampsia.org

Return to Ask the Experts