Losing weight to prevent PreE

Do you have a burning question you just have to ask our Medical Board Experts about hypertensive pregnancies? Please email your question to expert@preeclampsia.org Keep in mind, however, that we won't be able to answer every question and our docs can't offer medical advice and won't be able to comment on specific medical cases.

Losing weight to prevent PreE

Postby natan » Thu Apr 24, 2003 02:50 pm

I am not sure if this subject has been covered. But I am currently in the process of losing weight to hope that PreE will not be so sever. I am not pregant yet but planning to before the end of the year. I am 25 lbs over my normal weight. At this point should I consider losing more weight? I am concerned that last pregancy I was close to 200 lbs. [:(] I understand that preeclampsia is more likely to occur if you are 30 > normal. Has this been proven? Since I had my son I have lost 30 lbs. Should I try to shed more pounds? I am also currently taking a "But N Guts" class can I continue with this class? I want to try and avoid getting that high again. Would appreciate a response on this matter.[?][?] Thanks.

Deborah 34
Allen 33
Natan 21 mo.w/Pre E.
natan

Re : Losing weight to prevent PreE

Postby expert on call » Thu Apr 24, 2003 07:41 pm

We recommend women get their weight down even somewhat because it is something they can do to make a difference. It may however only make a small difference. There is definitely a strong correlation between being "obese" and preeclampsia. What is important to know is that clinically "obese" is a BMI of greater than 30%. That is not the same as morbidly obese. A woman of 5'2" and 164# would be "clinically obese". To calculate your BMI--click here. Enter your pre-pregnancy weight:

http://nhlbisupport.com/bmi/bminojs.htm

ANYTHING you can do to decrease your risk--you should do. Even losing 10# could make a difference. In some women--it could make all the difference--in others--it may not at all--but with a disease where there is so little you can do--why not do what you can to improve the odds?! It is also important to note that you should NOT diet during pregnancy. We recommend a healthy pregnancy diet. MOST importantly--you should not try to disguise weight gain when visiting the doctor by fasting the day before or skipping breakfast. This weight gain is an important indicator of preeclampsia. The weight gain of preeclampsia is not the same thing as the excess weight many women contend with. Regardless--it is important that you eat a healthy, balanced diet and get regular exercise.

Best wishes!

Expert on Call

Information provided on this site is provided for informational purposes only and is not meant to substitute for the advice provided by your own physician or other medical professional. You should not use the information contained herein for diagnosing or treating a health problem or disorder, or prescribing any medication. The Preeclampsia Foundation presents all data as is, without any warranty of any kind, express or implied, and is not liable for its accuracy, for mistakes or omissions of any kind, nor for any loss or damage caused by a user's reliance on information obtained on the site. Professional opinions on this condition vary greatly. The Preeclampsia Foundation endorses no one course of treatment or "cure". Responses generated by our Experts to specific questions are based on information anonymously submitted to this site via email, are not based on a complete review of any patient’s medical records and should not be construed as the only reasonable expert response to the info submitted and/or the scenario described.
expert on call

Return to Ask the Experts