Mild Pre-e/scary NICU experience

Do you have a burning question you just have to ask our Medical Board Experts about hypertensive pregnancies? Please email your question to expert@preeclampsia.org Keep in mind, however, that we won't be able to answer every question and our docs can't offer medical advice and won't be able to comment on specific medical cases.

Mild Pre-e/scary NICU experience

Postby blmacm1 » Tue Apr 29, 2003 07:49 am

I was told that I had mild pre-e with my first pg with BP going to at highest 150/95 at times starting at 32 weeks and small intermittent amounts of protein. However, with off and on bedrest from weeks 32 - 39, baby came in week 39 -- two days before scheduled induction (scheduled due to BP slowly rising).

At birth baby was grey and listless with first Apgar 3 and then 5 and rushed immediately to NICU for eight days of antibiotics and albumin as blood volume very low and also suspected infection. (Delivering doctor brought in a horde of residents to view placenta as one side of placenta blood vessels were completely destroyed or clotted.) Baby is presently 2.5 years and doing fine.

Delivering doctor said this is not a concern to future pregnancies and would order no tests re: possible clotting disorder, etc. Currently, I am 17 weeks pregnant and being followed as low-risk pg (no issues as of yet, but uterus has been noted as measuring a bit small -- with u/s scheduled for 18.5 weeks).

I am 32 years and usually in good health with no underlying weight or BP issues.

1. Should I be doing anything else (is it too late for clotting test, heparin, baby aspirin, B vitamins) or just wait to see if BP issues arise again? (MD says slim chance of pre-e for a second pregnancy -- which seems contrary to the experiences of those posting here).

2. Was baby's poor health at birth likely a fluke or likely due to the pre-e affecting the placenta?

Thank you for any insight you may have.
blmacm1

Re : Mild Pre-e/scary NICU experience

Postby expert on call » Fri May 02, 2003 04:52 pm

The baby's condition at birth was not likely due to the preeclampsia or the high blood pressure. There may have been an infection or placental abruption involved - it's hard to tell from what you remember. Unfortunately there are not really any specific tests or measures that can be taken to prevent preeclampsia from developing again except for aggressive management of high blood pressure. Clotting tests, heparin, aspirin, and vitamin supplementation are really not very effective in decreasing your risk. Your risk of recurrence is significant - on the order of 25-30% - and your doctor should be watching your blood pressure and urine protein closely.

Take care and let us know if you have any other questions.

Expert on Call

Information provided on this site is provided for informational purposes only and is not meant to substitute for the advice provided by your own physician or other medical professional. You should not use the information contained herein for diagnosing or treating a health problem or disorder, or prescribing any medication. The Preeclampsia Foundation presents all data as is, without any warranty of any kind, express or implied, and is not liable for its accuracy, for mistakes or omissions of any kind, nor for any loss or damage caused by a user's reliance on information obtained on the site. Professional opinions on this condition vary greatly. The Preeclampsia Foundation endorses no one course of treatment or "cure". Responses generated by our Experts to specific questions are based on information anonymously submitted to this site via email, are not based on a complete review of any patient’s medical records and should not be construed as the only reasonable expert response to the info submitted and/or the scenario described.
expert on call

Return to Ask the Experts