Locked FAQ Members Login

managing postpartum PE

Do you have a burning question you just have to ask our Medical Board Experts about hypertensive pregnancies? Please email your question to expert@preeclampsia.org Keep in mind, however, that we won't be able to answer every question and our docs can't offer medical advice and won't be able to comment on specific medical cases.

managing postpartum PE

Postby tammy » Mon May 17, 2004 09:29 am

I realize that stats for having PE in another pregnancy after already having in with one. I was wondering how should you manage a patient who you delivered 6 weeks early for Pe and then readmitted 10 days PP for increased symptoms and B/p (placed on Mag). I did want to start trying in about a year but I am scared to death that I will have severe problems in the PP period. Also what are the stats for PE PP in subsequent pregnancies.

Tammy

Liam 10/26/03/34weeks/PE
tammy

Re : managing postpartum PE

Postby expert on call » Mon Aug 02, 2004 01:41 pm

The treatment of post-partum preeclampsia is the same as for that identified antepartum or intrapartum and involves the use of magnesium sulfate and, where necessary, control of blood pressure. In your favor is the fact that you developed preeclampsia fairly late in the third trimester, so your recurrence risk should be in the range of 20%, and this risk does not seem to depend on whether your diagnosis was antepartum or post-partum, though intuitively I would speculate that a case such as yours (post - partum) would carry a better prognosis.

Good luck.

Expert on Call

Information provided on this site is provided for informational purposes only and is not meant to substitute for the advice provided by your own physician or other medical professional. You should not use the information contained herein for diagnosing or treating a health problem or disorder, or prescribing any medication. The Preeclampsia Foundation presents all data as is, without any warranty of any kind, express or implied, and is not liable for its accuracy, for mistakes or omissions of any kind, nor for any loss or damage caused by a user's reliance on information obtained on the site. Professional opinions on this condition vary greatly. The Preeclampsia Foundation endorses no one course of treatment or "cure". Responses generated by our Experts to specific questions are based on information anonymously submitted to this site via email, are not based on a complete review of any patient’s medical records and should not be construed as the only reasonable expert response to the info submitted and/or the scenario described.
expert on call

Return to Ask the Experts