Home Blood Pressure Monitors

Do you have a burning question you just have to ask our Medical Board Experts about hypertensive pregnancies? Please email your question to expert@preeclampsia.org Keep in mind, however, that we won't be able to answer every question and our docs can't offer medical advice and won't be able to comment on specific medical cases.

Home Blood Pressure Monitors

Postby tfagan » Sat May 10, 2003 08:33 pm

How accurate are home blood pressure monitors? I am 29 wks. with my 3rd and showing signs of pre-eclampsia, when I take my blood pressure at home it is always much higher than it is at the drs. office. Are the home monitors not reliable or should I call my dr. whenever I have a high reading at home?

Thank you.
Tricia Fagan
tfagan

Re : Home Blood Pressure Monitors

Postby annegarrett » Sat May 10, 2003 08:41 pm

I heard from one of our experts that you should take your home monitor into the doctor's office and have them take it with both so if it is off--you will know to what degree and also I think they can adjust them so maybe they can help you with that--of course that would depend on the monitor.

I know that APEC (our UK sister group) says only two home blood pressure monitors have been tested as effective for use with preeclampsia (that is that they are the only ones approved--but not that they are the only good ones). BUT of course I don't know which ones those are. We were thinking of seeing if we could get a BP monitor company (with one of the approved ones) to sell them through our site and give us a donation everytime they were purchased. What do you all think about that idea? I will find out which ones APEC says have been approved. I have heard though that when in doubt--take it in to your next appointment.

Take care!

Anne
annegarrett

Re : Home Blood Pressure Monitors

Postby tfagan » Sat May 10, 2003 08:52 pm

Thanks for your quick response. I did take the monitor (an Omron) to my OB on my last visit. And the Omron registered about 10% higher than the drs. cuff and stethoscope. My dr. did point out that most home monitors are not "certified" and therefore they are not as accurate as the method he uses. My concern now is that I've been put on Aldomet but I am still registering high bp readings at home. I hate to keep calling the dr. if the monitor is not accurate.

Tricia Fagan
tfagan

Return to Ask the Experts