Locked FAQ Members Login

preeclampsia research and negative test results

Do you have a burning question you just have to ask our Medical Board Experts about hypertensive pregnancies? Please email your question to expert@preeclampsia.org Keep in mind, however, that we won't be able to answer every question and our docs can't offer medical advice and won't be able to comment on specific medical cases.

preeclampsia research and negative test results

Postby expert@preeclampsia.org » Tue Jul 27, 2010 02:48 pm

I've been looking through some of the literature on Preeclampsia and subsequent pregnancies. A lot of the articles have discussed recurrence in women with known thrombophilias and genetic factors. Is there any research out there on women with preeclampsia and HELLP that tested negative for all known possible causes and the recurrence rates?
expert@preeclampsia.org

Re : preeclampsia research and negative test results

Postby expert@preeclampsia.org » Tue Jul 27, 2010 02:49 pm

The literature on recurrence rates suggests that 3-23% of patients with HELLP syndrome in one pregnancy may have it in another, and up to 40% approximately may have preeclampsia in one of its myriad forms. Because of the expense to test for all of the known thrombophilias, not all patients are thoroughly tested for these in all venues. Thus there is not, to my knowledge, a large corpus of patients who have had HELLP syndrome and were thoroughly tested for thrombophilias and then followed up for subsequent pregnancy outcome. We are probably several years away from having the precision you desire for accurate individual patient prediction and prognosis. Thus I usually use ranges in individual patient consultations because these are population statistics, while appreciating the multitude of unknowns and the knowledge that our testing techniques for thrombophilias are incomplete, imperfect and they represent only a portion of the possible risk factors for recurrent disease.
expert@preeclampsia.org

Return to Ask the Experts